Schafer Agency Offers Advice To Michigan Residents For National Flood Safety Awareness Week
Local independent insurance agency provides tips and information to help spread awareness about flood safety in Michigan.
Carleton, MI (PRWEB) March 25, 2014
National Flood Safety Awareness Week was created in order to draw attention to the many hazards associated with floods and to educate residents on proper flood safety practices. Since floods are the most common disaster in the U.S., Schafer Agency is offering information and advice to help prepare local residents and homeowners for this type of disaster.
- In the event of a flash flood or other flooded roads, all drivers should be extremely cautious. If possible, drivers should turn around and avoid driving on any roads that are covered with water. Even if the water does not appear very deep, it can still be enough to put drivers in a dangerous situation.
- While residents may not consider their area to be a high-threat flood area, the amount of snow that Michigan received this winter could potentially cause major water damage for homes and businesses. Also, excess snow built up on roofs could cause damage to homes and allow water to leak into houses.
- Residents should be aware of the warnings and classifications announced by local authorities. For example, a Flash Flood Watch signifies that flash flooding conditions are possible in the area. A Flash Flood Warning alerts residents that flooding is currently occurring, or that it will be soon.
- Those who live on lower land, near a river, or close to a dam should be especially prepared for floods. In the event of severe flooding, evacuate as soon as possible.
- If possible and safe to do so before evacuating, homeowners can help secure their homes by moving essential possessions to an upper floor of the house, turning off main utility valves, and disconnecting electrical appliances. Remember it is extremely dangerous to touch electrical equipment that is surrounded by water.
With spring finally approaching in Michigan, it’s imperative for residents and homeowners to understand proper flood safety procedures in order to keep themselves and their families safe. Rapid snow melt and heavy rains are common this time of year. Residents are encouraged to contact Schafer Agency to learn more about protecting their possessions with flood and homeowners insurance.
About Schafer Agency:
Established in 1926, Schafer Agency strives to provide peace of mind to individuals, families, and businesses throughout Michigan. The agents believe in creating long term business relationships with their customers through excellent customer service and customized insurance packages. From the agency’s three office locations, the team is constantly focused on fulfilling the various needs of their clients across the state. Interested individuals and companies are encouraged to visit Schafer Agency’s website to learn more about their insurance options.