Florastor is designed to promote the natural flora†2 we all have and help our bodies function naturally so runners can stay active and avoid intestinal disturbance.
San Bruno, CA (PRWEB) April 15, 2014
A lot of factors go into a good run — the weather, proper attire, and personal safety, just to name to few. One of the last things runners want to worry about is their gut. In fact, 81 percent of distance runners experience some type of intestinal disturbance while exercising.1 They want to feel "nothing" — no intestinal upset — exactly the idea behind yeast-based, Florastor.
"Athletes, and runners in particular, can especially appreciate the impact a healthy gut can make on a run," said Marc Rohman, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Biocodex North America. "Florastor is designed to promote the natural flora†2 we all have and help our bodies function naturally so runners can stay active and avoid intestinal disturbance."
Florastor, a yeast-based probiotic, not only helps maintain digestive health,†2 but also supports a healthy immune system,†3 to help keep you feeling great throughout the race season — and beyond.
Why Florastor is Different
Unlike many bacterial-based probiotics like yogurt, yeast-based Florastor doesn't need refrigeration, making it a convenient travel companion for runners on the go. It also contains 250 mg of Saccharomyces boulardii lyo, found naturally on the skin of the tropical fruits lychee and mangosteen — and is not compromised when using antibiotics.†4 Florastor is an all-natural, vegetarian, and gluten-free capsule.
FlorastorKids comes in a powder packet and is appropriate for children two months and older.†5 The powder contains 250 mg of the same probiotic yeast strain as Florastor and can be dissolved in most drinks or soft foods.
Top Tummy Tips for Runners
Consider these five tips to help you avoid possible digestive issues as a runner:
● Drink More Water: Sports drinks (e.g., Gatorade) can be essential to most runners, but water is the ultimate health drink, helping with digestion and brain and muscle performance. Unlike sports drinks, water has zero calories and doesn't put stress on the insulin system. Water carries nutrients to cells, regulates body temperature, flushes toxins, aids with digestion and helps with brain and muscle performance.
● Take Probiotics Daily: When the body is stressed from a hectic lifestyle, diet or the effects of medication, probiotics can help maintain a healthy balance of good bacteria†2 in the intestinal tract.
● Plan Restroom Breaks: Postponing a trip to the restroom during your run can cause significant abdominal discomfort, so be sure to plan ahead.
● Eat Light: While training for your race or just consistently running, we're more likely to gobble down foods high in fat and calories. So give your stomach a break by eating light, especially in the days you're planning on training or racing.
● Revel in Rest Days: Shuttling from one marathon to another can become a source of stress. Allow some unstructured "nothing time" to promote healthy balance and improve overall well-being.
For more information, visit this Active Lifestyle Infographic.
About Biocodex North America
Biocodex North America is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in San Bruno, California, and Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Biocodex North America is an independent subsidiary of the family-owned French pharmaceutical company Biocodex. Its products include Florastor, the #1 selling probiotic worldwide,†6 and Totect, the only treatment approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for anthracycline extravasation.
Biocodex has partnered with healthcare professionals for more than 60 years with an emphasis on unique, specialized products that focus on patient welfare. Biocodex is a multinational research, development, manufacturing and commercial enterprise operating in more than 100 different countries.
*Best-selling probiotic worldwide. Available in over 100 countries. Studied and trusted since 1953.
†These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
1. ABQjournal FIT Magazine.
2. Swidsinski A, Loening-Baucke V, Verstraelen H, Osowska S, Doerffel Y (2008) Biostructure of fecal microbiota in healthy subjects and patients with chronic idiopathic diarrhea. Gastroenterology: 135(2): 568-579.
3. Martins FS, Silva AA, Vieira AT, Barbosa FH, Arantes RM, et al. (2009) Comparative study of Bifidobacterium animalis, Escherichia coli, Lactobacillus casei and Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic properties. Arch Microbiol 191: 623-630.
4. Klein SM, Elmer GW, McFarland LV, Surawicz CM, Levy RH (1993) Recovery and elimination of the biotherapeutic agent, Saccharomyces boulardii, in healthy human volunteers. Pharm Res 10: 1615-1619.
5. Vandenplas Y, Brunser O, Szajewska H (2009) Saccharomyces boulardii in childhood. Eur J Pediatr 168: 253-265.
6. IMS Data 2012.