Susan G. Komen Knoxville Grants $436,243 to Fund Local Breast Cancer Programs

Knoxville Affiliate Has Distributed More than $6.8 million in Grants for 16 Years

  • Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInShare on PinterestEmail a friend
Komen Knoxville Affiliate
It's exciting to see the potential impact that these grantees will have.

Knoxville, TN (PRWEB) April 23, 2014

Susan G. Komen Knoxville announced today that it has granted $436,243 to fund nine programs that will provide thousands of women and men with life-saving breast health screening, treatment support and education programs throughout the next year.

“The need is great in our community and we are happy to partner with nine programs in our 16-county area to help provide vital breast health services to thousands of women and men in need,” said Jane Brannon, Executive Director of the Knoxville Affiliate. “It’s exciting to see the potential impact that these grantees will have in delivering life-saving breast health services to both the uninsured and underinsured in our area.”

In 2012, the local affiliate funded programs that provided over 5,000 women with access to life-saving breast cancer screenings and treatment support. As a result of these screenings, 42 women were diagnosed with breast cancer. Early detection is the key to reducing breast cancer mortality and when treated early, the five-year survival rate is 98 percent.

“The financial support from our organization serves as a safety net for women in our service area, allowing the funded organizations to deliver services to women who would not be able to afford them,” said Melissa Edmiston, Director of Community Programs. “At a time when state and federal dollars for the uninsured and underinsured is being cut and demand for free or low-cost breast cancer services is high, we are proud to be a resource that makes an impact and saves lives.”

The Knoxville Affiliate raises funds through events like its annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure®, scheduled for Saturday, October 18th at World’s Fair Park. Online registration and fundraising begins June 1st at http://www.komenknoxville.org.

The following organizations have been selected for funding by an independent grant panel through a competitive application and review process:

Blount Memorial Foundation
Supporting Survival: Partnering for Prevention, Intervention, Needs & Knowledge (P.I.N.K)

  •     Screening and diagnostic mammograms
  •     Patient financial assistance

The Cathy L. Hodges Memorial Cancer Foundation

  •     Financial assistance for patients in active treatment

Celebrate Life Cancer Support Group
Celebrate Life Enriching and Renewing (C.L.E.A.R)

  •     Patient financial assistance
  •     Education and survivor support activities

Dayspring Family Health Center
Breast Health Outreach Program

  •     Screening
  •     Education and outreach to rural and Appalachian women

Rural Medical Services, Inc.
Bilingual Breast Health Education, Outreach & Screening in Five East TN Counties

  •     Culturally competent outreach and education to Hispanic women
  •     Patient navigation
  •     Financial assistance for screening mammograms

Tennessee Department of Health
The Breast Screening & Treatment for TN Women Project

  •     Screening and diagnostic mammograms for uninsured women

Thompson Cancer Survival Center
Serving Those Placed in Our Path

  •     Patient financial support
  •     Genetic testing for at-risk patients

University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute
Breast Health Outreach Program (BHOP)

  •     Mobile mammography screening and breast health education

University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute
Living the Promise

  •     Financial assistance

For more details about becoming a grant recipient, visit http://www.komenknoxville.org or call 865-588-0902.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Knoxville Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Knoxville Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the Affiliate service area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 865-588-0902 or visit http://www.komenknoxville.org.


Contact

  • Kelly Fletcher
    FletcherPR
    +1 (865) 249-8371
    Email