"...San Diego is on the forefront of quality and innovation in the brewing industry, combine that with the skill and passion of the areas brewers, it’s no wonder that San Diego is always represented well in competitions."
San Diego, CA (PRWEB) April 28, 2014
The San Diego Brewers Guild (SDBG), http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org, is proud to announce that San Diego breweries took home 11 awards at the 2014 World Beer Cup, http://www.worldbeercup.org, in Denver, Colorado on Friday, April 11. In addition, Coronado Brewing Company was awarded World Beer Cup Champion Brewery and Brewmaster in the Mid-Sized Brewing Company category.
“We at the San Diego Brewers Guild are proud to see so many local brewers honored at this year’s world beer cup. San Diego is on the forefront of quality and innovation in the brewing industry, combine that with the skill and passion of the areas brewers, it’s no wonder that San Diego is always represented well in competitions,” says San Diego Brewers Guild President Brian Scott.
Out of 94 categories of beer, San Diego breweries won 4 gold medals, 4 silver medals, and 3 bronze medals. In total, 1,447 breweries entered 4,918 beers from 62 countries. 220 judges from 32 countries determined the winners. The San Diego County winners and their categories are listed below.
List of San Diego Winners (List includes category & total submissions in each category):
- World Beer Cup Champion Brewery and Brewmaster in Mid-Size Brewing - Coronado Brewing Company
- Habitus by Mike Hess Brewing Co. – Gold – (Rye Beer, 47 entries)
- Old Ale 2013 by AleSmith Brewing Co. – Gold – (Old Ale or Strong Ale, 40 entries)
- Sculpin IPA by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits / Old Grove – Gold – (Australasian-Style Pale Ale or International-Style Pale Ale, 33 entries)
- Islander IPA by Coronado Brewing Co.- Gold – (American-Style Strong Pale Ale, 97 entries)
- Framboise de Amorosa by The Lost Abbey –Silver – (American-Style Sour Ale, 32 entries)
- Old Scallywag by Coronado Brewing Co. – Silver – (Barley-Wine Style Ale, 53 entries)
- The Pugilist by Societe Brewing Co. – Silver – (Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout, 36 entries)
- Shark Bite Red by Pizza Port Bressi Ranch– Silver – (American-Style Amber/Red Ale, 90 entries)
- Aged Navigator Dopplebock by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits / Home Brew Mart – Bronze – (Aged Beer, 14 entries)
- May the Port Be With You by Pizza Port Solana Beach –Bronze – (Other Strong Beer, 44 entries)
- Hop 15 by Port Brewing Co. – Bronze – (Imperial India Pale Ale, 106 entries)
About San Diego Brewers Guild
Founded in 1997, the San Diego Brewers Guild (SDBG), http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org, is a nonprofit collective of San Diego's finest breweries, brewpubs, restaurants and businesses that service the craft beer industry all working towards expanding the city’s cultural niche as America’s best craft beer destination. With its mission to promote awareness and increase the visibility of fresh, locally brewed beer through education and participation in community events, the SDBG puts together annual events, such as Rhythm & Brews, http://www.sdrhythmandbrews.com, and San Diego Beer Week, http://sdbw.org, around San Diego County helping introduce variety of beers to the public.
About World Beer Cup:
The World Beer Cup, http://www.worldbeercup.org, often referred to as “The Olympics of Beer Competitions,” is the most prestigious beer competition in the world. It is a competition that celebrates the art and science of brewing by recognizing outstanding achievement. The global competition ultimately creates greater consumer awareness about different beer styles and flavor profiles while promoting international brewing excellence. Every two years, a highly qualified professional panel of beer judges honors the top three beers in over 90 categories with gold, silver, and bronze awards.