Tampa, FL (PRWEB) April 29, 2014
The American College of Physician Executives (ACPE) announced the selection of Christiana Care Health System in Delaware as the winner of the 2014 Leape Ahead Award, which recognizes patient safety excellence among medical schools and teaching hospitals.
Judges on the Leape Ahead selection committee applauded Christiana Care’s multipronged approach to teaching medical students and residents about patient safety. The system’s emphasis on collaboration and team-based care exemplifies the spirit of the award, which honors medical schools and teaching hospitals making extraordinary strides in promoting a culture of leadership, professionalism, communication and teamwork among medical students and residents.
“The evidence is clear: Patient safety is improved when health care professionals work as a team,” said Peter Angood, MD, FRCS(C), FACS, FCCM, ACPE’s president and CEO. “Christiana Care should be commended for recognizing this need and for their role in taking the initiative to shape the physician leaders of tomorrow.”
Patient safety and quality initiatives created by Christiana Care for their residency programs include:
- Experiential, project-based performance improvement education. Residents are required to participate in a 12-week, interprofessional/interdepartmental course that emphasizes interdisciplinary, team-based, learner-generated performance improvement projects.
- Resident leadership elective. Residents can participate in a two-week, multi-departmental, intensive elective that combines didactic and interactive lectures, field trips, discussions with system and state-level leaders and ongoing post-course support.
- Train-the-trainer initiative: A nine-month didactic and project-based curriculum in advanced quality and safety improvement science for faculty.
- Administrative fellowship in patient safety and quality. One fellow per year participates in experiential value-based projects, such as appropriate use of telemetry in hospitalized teaching patients.
- Simulation. Residents, students and student nurses collaborate in staged patient care scenarios to practice difficult patient management scenarios and enhance inter-professional communication skills.
Representatives from Christiana Care accepted the award during ACPE’s Annual Meeting & Spring Institute in Chicago, IL.
This is the third year ACPE has presented the award, which honors the dedication of Dr. Lucian Leape toward the advancement of efficient, effective and caring delivery of medicine in the U.S. It also underscores ACPE’s strong commitment to patient safety and quality, as well as the lifelong development and support of physician leaders
Watch a brief video about this year’s winner.