Alexandria, Va. (PRWEB) April 30, 2014
The Military Officers Association of America (MOAA), the nation's largest and most influential association of military officers, is hosting the largest D.C. military officer career fair on Tuesday, May 13, 2014. Job seekers have the opportunity to meet local, national and international employers including Lockheed Martin, Amazon, Bank of America, Marriott, National Security Agency, Peace Corps, National Science Foundation, Department of Veteran Affairs and many more. The event is open to and free for all job seekers who are military servicemembers and government employees – all ranks, active duty, retired, former servicemembers, National Guard/Reserve servicemembers and their spouses.
Employers are also welcome to participate. Employers have the opportunity to recruit new staff from a qualified pool of executive-level applicants. Employer participants also receive access to prospective candidates that will help them meet the new veteran hiring requirements released in February 2014 (The Department of Labor’s Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974). Pre-registration is required for employers. To find out how to participate as an employer, visit http://www.moaa.org/hire.
Military Officers Association of America Career Fair
Walter E. Washington Convention Center (Ballroom)
801 Mount Vernon Pl. NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The conference will feature several career-planning seminars to help military personnel tackle the challenge of transitioning to work life after the military. Seminar topics include:
- How to Work a Career Fair: This 30-minute seminar begins before the official start of the career fair and offers quick tips on how to stand out among the crowd.
- LinkedIn Best Practices: LinkedIn is revolutionizing the process of networking, connecting with recruiters and preparing for job interviews. Moreover, it offers a public resume to showcase your experience, passion, skills and education to potential employers, clients and business partners. The workshop will address strengthening your public profile and maximizing the use of key words, plus recommendations for job search, people search and company search strategies using LinkedIn.
- Be Your Own Boss! Exploring Entrepreneurship Panel: A panel of successful veteran business owners and resource specialists will share their experience with entrepreneurship in a 90-minute discussion (RSVPs are required; RSVP to AmandaB(at)moaa(dot)org).
- Federal Job Application Preparation: This 90-minute seminar will help interested military members learn how to apply for a federal job and market themselves for government sector employment.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act – What Veterans Need to Know About Disability and Civilian Employment: The ADA is a complex federal law with no analog in the military work environment. Many veterans enter the civilian job search unaware of the ADA’s protections from inappropriate medical questions and arbitrary medical qualification standards, and of the ADA’s requirement for simple accommodations that can make the difference between success and failure for a veteran transitioning into civilian employment. Learn what you need to know about the ADA to succeed in the civilian work place.
*Fair is free to job seekers
*No pre-registration required for job seekers
Amanda Bainton, 703-838-8137, AmandaB(at)moaa(dot)org
Susan Stalder, 703-838-0546
Nancy Carr, 703-838-0545, pr(at)moaa(dot)org
MOAA is the nation's largest and most influential association of military officers. It is an independent, nonprofit, politically nonpartisan organization. With more than 380,000 members from every branch of service – including active duty, National Guard, Reserve, retired, former officers, and their families – we are a powerful force speaking for a strong national defense and representing the interests of military officers at every stage of their careers. MOAA's highest priority is providing first-class service to our members. We are the leading voice on compensation and benefit matters for all members of the military community. We provide expert advice and guidance to our members.