"Rhubarb is the harbinger of spring in Lancaster County and and a reason to celebrate at Kitchen Kettle Village."
Intercourse, PA (PRWEB) May 05, 2014
The rhubarb cars are revvin’, the pies are whoopin’, the judges are tastin’, balloons are twistin’, music is jazzin’, samples are flowin’ and the king and queen are strollin’ as Kitchen Kettle Village prepares for its yummiest 31st Annual Rhubarb Festival on May 16th and 17th. This year’s two day Festival will once again feature the World’s Only Rhubarb Race Car Derby in which participants will race derby cars made out of rhubarb stalks. Other highlights include a Whoopie Pie Filling Contest, the crowning of an official Rhubarb King and Queen, product demonstrations, lots of samples, strolling comedians, several bands including Banjo Jimmy, Happy Wonders German Band, the Dixieland Band and many more, as well as other activities for the whole family.
This event will precede many other “Free at KKV” Events and Festivals slated for the year such as The Music For Everyone Festival on Saturday, June 21st, Yummie’s Birthday Bash on Saturday, August 2nd, Kitchen Kettle Village’s 60th birthday party the week of August 2nd through August 9th and the Tailgate Festival on September 19th and 20th.
As always, all of the events and parking are free. For more information or a complete listing of events please visit http://www.kitchenkettle.com or call 717-768-8261 or
Schedule of Events:
Friday, May 16th, 9am-6pm
- 11am-1pm – Happy Wonders German Band performing at the stage area
- 11am-4pm – Banjo Jimmy & his Sidemen performing ragtime folk music
- Noon – Rhubarb Whoopie Pie Filling Contest at the stage area-participants needed
- 1pm-3pm – Enjoy the antics of strolling comedian Geist
- 2pm-5pm - Summit Hill Bluegrass Band Performing at the stage area
- All Day – Meet “Rhu-barb”, our rhubarb expert for helpful rhubarb hints
- All Day – Rhubarb food sampling tables with cooking demonstrations
- All Day – Fresh rhubarb for sale
- All Day – Rhubarb jams being made in our Jam & Relish Kitchen
Saturday, May 17th, 9am-6pm
- 10:30am – “Bake a Pie… Save a Farm – Best Rhubarb Dessert in Lancaster County Baking Contest” featuring celebrity judges. Dessert slices will be sold following the competition. All proceeds benefit the Lancaster Farmland Trust.
- 11am-3pm – Rhubarb Race Car Derby to benefit Lancaster
- 11am-4pm – Banjo Jimmy & his Sidemen performing folk music
- 11am-1pm – Balloon twisting for the kids with the “Balunguy”
- 11:30pm – Crowning of the official Rhubarb King & Queen at the stage area after the baking contest judging.
- 11:30am-1:30pm – Rich D and the Dean performing on the porch of The Country Life store
- 12:30-2pm – The Dixieland Band performing ragtime favorites at the stage
- 2pm – Rollicking Rhubarb Stroll (too small to be called a parade) featuring musicians, costumed characters, Kitchen Kettle’s own pink ladies, the Rhubarb King & Queen & more.
- 2:30pm-5:30pm – Enjoy the sounds of the Roadsters (a 50’s band) performing at the stage
- All Day – Meet “Rhu-Barb”, with helpful rhubarb hints
- All Day – Rhubarb food sampling & fresh rhubarb for sale
- All Day – Rhubarb jams being made in our Jam & Relish kitchen kettle
Located in the beautiful Pennsylvania Dutch countryside, Kitchen Kettle Village has been entertaining visitors from all over the world for 60 years. With 42 unique specialty shops, eight delicious restaurants and eateries, charming lodging and, of course, the famous Jam & Relish Kitchen, guests can watch local farm women putting up more than 90 original recipes of jams, jellies and relishes in large open kettles, take a carriage ride to enjoy the free seasonal festivals and year round family events. Conveniently located on Route 340 in the Village of Intercourse, Pennsylvania (10 miles east of Lancaster and less than two hours from Philadelphia and Baltimore), Kitchen Kettle Village is the ideal destination for the guest who wants a tasty Village experience. For more information, please visit http://www.kitchenkettle.com or call (800) 732-3538 or (717) 768-8261.