Chicago (PRWEB) May 07, 2014
The founder of a not-for-profit that connects lab professionals with volunteer opportunities around the world, a specialist in forensic pathology and a researcher focused on unearthing the effects of intoxication on infection are among the high achievers being recognized by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) as part of its first “40 Under 40” program. The program honors 40 pathologists, pathology residents, and laboratory professionals under the age of 40 who have made significant contributions to the profession and stand out as the future of laboratory leadership.
The program reflects the extensive and diverse variety of interests, areas of specialty and improvements in health care that lab professionals are involved in, ranging from cancer therapy and the genesis of disease, to clinical trial design, genomics and personalized medicine.
“We are inspired by these young professionals who are passionate about the profession, driven to improve health care delivery, and doing amazing work for their institutions and beyond,” said Dr. E. Blair Holladay, Executive Vice President of ASCP. “ASCP’s 40 Under 40 program is an incredible opportunity to recognize these stand-out individuals and give them the support they need to continue achieving greatness and become the next generation of laboratory leaders. It was a difficult task for the committee to select only 40.”
ASCP launched the “40 Under 40” program to recognize and honor young laboratory professionals for their leadership, diverse experience and innovative work within the laboratory environment. Applicants submitted a resume and an essay addressing their interests in lab medicine, the role of laboratory medicine in an evolving healthcare landscape, or the importance of the laboratory in the clinical care team.
“We had an overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the introduction of the program and such a high caliber of applicants that it made narrowing down the list to just 40 a real challenge,” said Rex F. Famitangco, Laboratory Administrative Director & Education Director at Morrill County Community Hospital, Bridgeport, Neb., who served on the 40 Under 40 Selection Committee. “We are very fortunate to have a highly-talented group of younger professionals who are advancing in their careers and will serve as future leaders of our profession.”
ASCP’s 40 Under 40 honorees include:
- Caroline Raasch Alquist, MD, PhD - New Orleans
- Dana Altenburger, MD FASCP - Bloomington, Ill.
- Clinton Borek, MLS(ASCP)CMSBBCM - Marshfield, Wis.
- Sara R. Briggs, MS, MLS(ASCP)CMSBBCM - Eau Claire, Wis.
- Michelle Brown, MS, MT(ASCP)CMSBBCM - Birmingham, Ala.
- Deborah J. Chute, MD - Cleveland
- Jitakshi De, MD - Palo Alto, Calif.
- Ashraf M. Dehlawi, H(ASCP)CM - Tampa, Fla.
- Shawn Griggs, MT(ASCP) - Findlay, Ohio
- Rama Gullapalli, MD, PhD - Albuquerque, N.M.
- Marianne Hamel, MD, PhD - Woodbine, N.J.
- Alexia Hansen, MLS(ASCP)CM - Saint Paul, Minn.
- Jennifer Maxine Hawkins, DO – Philadelphia
- Rochelle Helminski, MLS(ASCP)CM - Phoenix
- Marisa K. James, MLS(ASCP)CM - North Kansas City, Mo.
- Joyce D. Jones, MS, MLS(ASCP)CMSMCM - Highland, Ill.
- Mary D. Le, MD - Torrance, Calif.
- Carlo Ledesma, SH(ASCP)CMMT(ASCPi) - Oklahoma City
- Sara E. Monaco, MD - Pittsburgh
- Anna M. Moran, MD - Philadelphia
- Christina Nickel, MLS(ASCP)CM - Lincoln, Neb.
- Sunita Iyengar Park, MD - Atlanta
- Miriam D. Post, MD FASCP - Aurora, Colo.
- Deepti Mary Ravi, MBBChBAO (Hons.) (RCSI) (Ire), LRCPI, LRCSI - Hamilton, ON, Canada
- Patrick A. Reese, HTL(ASCP)CMQIHC - Boone, N.C.
- Daniel Roman, MLS(ASCP)CM - Patrick AFB, Fla.
- Gaurav Sharma, MD - Detroit
- Shree G. Sharma, MD - Little Rock, Ark.
- Mary Beth Sica, MT(ASCP) - Vassalboro, Maine
- Jodi Jean Speiser, MD - Maywood, Ill.
- Michelle Spinosa, MLS(ASCP)CM - Kentfield, Calif.
- Lee B. Springer, PhD - Glencoe, Minn.
- Rachel L. Stewart, DO - Lexington, Ky.
- Eman Talaq, MLS(ASCP)CM - Manama, Bahrain
- Amy L. Thompson, PhD, MT(ASCP) - Clarksville, Tenn.
- Christopher A. Tormey, MD FASCP - New Haven, Ct.
- Sean M. Tucker, MBA, MLS(ASCP)CM - Shawnee Mission, Kan.
- Heather Vaught, MLS(ASCP)CM SBBCM - Indianapolis, Ind.
- Kimberly A. Whiter, MLS(ASCP)CM - Roanoke, Va.
- Sean R. Williamson, MD FASCP - Detroit
The 40 honorees each will have the opportunity to share their knowledge about topics pertinent to pathology and laboratory medicine with a personal blog on ASCP’s ONELab website. Later this summer, ASCP will select the top five bloggers, who will each receive free registration to attend ASCP 2014 Annual Meeting, along with a $1,000 stipend to toward airfare and lodging. In addition, the winners will receive free enrollment in Lab Management University, a collaborative initiative of ASCP and the American Pathology Foundation.
For more information on ASCP’s 40 Under 40 program or read about each of this year’s honorees, visit: http://www.ascp.org/40Under40.