ARC4 will change the way you see and interact with the world around you – the same way the smart phone changed the way you communicate.
Raleigh, NC (PRWEB) May 22, 2014
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is proud to introduce ARC4, the most advanced, wearable augmented reality (AR) software available. ARC4 is a transformative technology that re-defines true augmented reality. Developed over six years with substantial investment from DARPA’s ULTRA-Vis program and ARA, ARC4 will usher in an exciting new era of information display and consumption.
ARC4 software integrates seamlessly with any heads-up display, allowing users to see virtual information such as icons and messages overlaid accurately on their real-world view. ARA’s engineers and scientists developed algorithms that accurately track a users’ position and look direction to deliver a persistent, immersive, and dynamic heads-up view. ARA’s breakthrough geo-referencing capabilities and low-cognitive load user interface enable AR for outdoor, on-the-move applications.
ARC4’s lead engineer, Dave Roberts, PhD., describes ARC4 as “a flat-out game changer that’s ideal for anyone who wants to visualize, create, and share heads-up information.” He explains, “ARC4 will change the way you see and interact with the world around you – the same way the smart phone changed the way you communicate.” ARA’s team is working with several large companies to enable true AR in their heads-up displays. Dr. Roberts and his team envision future applications of ARC4 in:
- Consumer Products: Real-world object tagging and sharing for socially networked users
- Team Coordination: Shared awareness for emergency management and response
- Logistics and operations: Tracking assets, personnel, and tasks for worksites and events
- Immersive Training and gaming: Virtual avatars and effects embedded with live operations
Originally designed for warfighters to enhance situational awareness and enable non-voice, non-line of sight teammate coordination, ARC4 delivers precision geo-registration and true AR unlike any product to date. As prime contractor for DARPA’s ULTRA-Vis program, ARA developed a soldier-worn AR system that presents heads-up tactical information for on-the-move operations. This state-of-the-art technology provides heads-up situational awareness for the military – allowing soldiers to perform their jobs with enhanced safety, speed, and mission effectiveness.
ARC4 offers multiple unique features and capabilities:
- Display Agnostic. ARC4 renders AR information on any wearable see-through display – including night vision devices, making it easy to integrate with existing products.
- Head Tracking. Algorithms track user position and orientation in outdoor environments, enabling accurate overlay of virtual icons and messages on the real world.
- Heads-Up Visualization. The intuitive heads-up UI communicates object locations, user position, and look direction. Users tag real world objects with virtual icons and annotations.
- User Coordination. ARC4 enables users to project icons, images, and messages on others’ real world views, facilitating non-verbal and non-line-of-sight coordination.
ARA’s engineers and scientists can customize ARC4 to fit your needs. For more information or to speak with the ARC4 team, contact Jenn Carter (jcarter(at)ara(dot)com, 919-582-3438).
About Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA):
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is an international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically excellent solutions to complex and challenging problems of national importance. ARA is the industry leader in heads-up augmented reality (AR) technology for outdoor on-the-move operations. For additional information, please visit http://www.ara.com.