Dania Beach, FL (PRWEB) May 19, 2014
The widespread and often devastating property damage caused by recent Atlantic coast hurricanes and tropical storms is prompting many communities to proactively prepare for the start of hurricane season, which begins on June 1.
Board members of condominium or homeowners associations (HOAs) in communities in hurricane-prone areas have learned that comprehensive storm preparation is critical to keeping their residents and property safe. To ensure they are completely and efficiently prepared to handle this year’s season, many boards are turning to their property management companies for expert guidance.
FirstService Residential, North America’s leading property management company, provides its managed communities with comprehensive, customized procedures for planning, preparing and minimizing the impact of hurricanes. The company’s proven steps are designed for associations to implement in advance of Hurricane Season, before a storm arrives and after it has hit. These include:
BBefore Hurricane Season Begins:
- Make a hurricane preparedness plan and share it with board members and residents, including part-time residents
- Back up digital files and store hard copies safely
- Ensure your property management company allows you to pay expenses electronically in case emergency services are required Videotape your community and its assets and common areas as a baseline
- Train your staff to ensure everyone knows what to do before, during and after a storm.
If a Storm is Approaching:
- Prepare and secure your facilities, equipment and systems
- Make sure generators are operating
- Inform owners how to prepare their units
- Provide emergency information and resources
- Mitigate damages and ensure resident safety by placing tarps over damaged areas, removing debris and securing the community from vandals
- Begin implementing the community disaster plan
- Prep for rebuilding by determining construction needs and associated costs
Read the comprehensive list of hurricane tips and procedures to make sure your community is adequately protected.
About FirstService Residential
FirstService Residential is a subsidiary of FirstService Corporation, a global leader in the rapidly growing real estate services sector, one of the largest markets in the world. As a leading property management company in North America, FirstService Residential oversees more than 6,500 residential and commercial associations including 1.5 million residential units and over 50 million square feet of commercial space across 21 U.S. states and three provinces in Canada. The company has more than 12,000 employees driving local market expertise and manages in excess of $6 billion in annual budgets. For more information, visit http://www.fsresidential.com.