DPAC is pleased to recognize such amazing local...It is an amazing educational opportunity for a chance to experience performing on a Broadway Stage.
Durham, N.C. (PRWEB) May 23, 2014
Along with Theatre in the Park, Playmakers Repertory Company and ABC 11, DPAC, Durham Performing Arts Center, is thrilled to present the culmination of this year’s Triangle Rising Star program announced from a record number of applicants. The Triangle Rising Star Live Showcase and Awards show will take place at DPAC on Monday, June 2 at 7:30 p.m. starring the student finalists from Triangle-area high school musical productions. Triangle Rising Star is a non-profit education initiative created in 2011 to celebrate high school theater students who participate and excel with wide -ranging talents in their musical productions.
Triangle Rising Star is a regional qualifying program for the National High School Musical Theatre Awards (NHSMTA).
Tickets starting at just $10 for the Live Showcase and Awards Show at DPAC are on sale now:
- Online at DPACnc.com
- DPAC Ticket Center: 919.680.2787, 123 Vivian Street, Durham, NC
- Ticketmaster.com / Ticketmaster Charge by phone at 800.745.3000
*All ticket sales support the Triangle Rising Star program.
“DPAC is pleased to recognize such amazing local talent from such wide regions of the Triangle at the upcoming Triangle Rising Star Awards. It is an amazing educational opportunity for a chance to experience performing on the DPAC stage as well as the opportunity to be a part of our very own Nederlander program in New York City the Jimmy Awards™,” stated Rachel Gragg, Senior Director of Marketing at DPAC.
The Triangle Rising Star Best Actor and Best Actress scholarships will be awarded following a final closed audition process and several days of work shopping and rehearsals to take place leading up to the showcase ticketed event on June 2. The judging panel began the audition process in the fall by attending and adjudicating high school musicals from a record number of 52 applicants across 21 high schools. As a regional qualifier program, The Triangle Rising Star Best Actor and Best Actress recipients will also be invited to attend the National High School Musical Theater Awards in New York City on June 25 – July 1, 2014. This all-expense paid trip allows students from across the country to train with Broadway actors, directors and producers. Their week of coaching, auditions and rehearsals concludes with a sold-out performance on Broadway at the Minskoff Theatre (Home of Disney’s The Lion King©) where the coveted Jimmy™ Awards for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are announced.
TRIANGLE RISING STAR BEST ACTRESS FINALISTS:
- Durham County, Durham Academy: Emily Cotten (Hope, Urinetown)
- Durham County, Voyager Academy: Morgan Oh (Sandy, Grease)
- Durham County, Hillside High School: Taylor Owens (Nina, In the Heights)
- Durham County, CE Jordan High School: Julianne Vance (Rusty, Footloose)
- Johnston County, West Johnston High School: Tyler Crocker (Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz)
- Orange County, East Chapel Hill High School: Danielle Katz (Audrey, Little Shop of Horrors)
- Wake County, Panther Creek High School: Cristina Alba (Gertrude, Seussical the Musical)
- Wake County, Ravenscroft High School: English Bernhardt (Esther, Meet Me in St. Louis)
- Wake County, Enloe High School: Sarah Gordon (Dorothy, Thoroughly Modern Millie)
- Wake County, Wake Forest High School: Amanda Jones (Tracy Turnblad, Hairspray)
TRIANGLE RISING STAR BEST ACTOR FINALISTS:
- Chatham County, Jordan Matthews High School: Heath Smith (Oliver Warbucks, Annie)
- Durham County, Voyager Academ: Kai Kelley (Kenickie, Grease)
- Durham County, Durham Academy: Lowell Oakley (Bobby Strong, Urinetown)
- Durham County, Durham School of the Arts: Wilson Plonk (Charlie Brown, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown)
- Johnston County, West Johnston High School: Tré Frederick (Cowardly Lion, The Wizard of Oz)
- Wake County, Ravenscroft High School: Hampton Crumpler (John Truitt, Meet Me in St. Louis)
- Wake County, Enloe High School: Alex Fernandez (Jimmy Smith, Thoroughly Modern Millie)
- Wake County, Apex High School: Will Stapleton (Lt. Frank Cioffi, Curtains)
- Wake County, Athens Drive High School: Matthew Washington (Ren McCormack, Footlose)
- Wake County, Holly Springs High School: Blake West (Tin Man, The Wizard of Oz)
“Theatre in the Park is proud to once again partner with DPAC as part of the Triangle Rising Star program,” said Brent Simpson, Marketing Director of Theatre in the Park. The caliber of talent we have seen in the Triangle this year is spectacular, and I am glad that these talented young people have the opportunity to showcase their gifts at a world class venue.”
The Triangle Rising Star Awards event on June 2 will be hosted by ABC 11’s Tamara Gibbs. The 20 finalists will be featured in two group performances, as well as a medley of individual performances where each student will showcase their own solos. Along with the Best Actor and Best Actress awards, accolades will also be given for Best Musical and Best Ensemble. From the participating schools, four finalists have already been chosen for these honors:
- Seussical, Panther Creek High School
- Urinetown, Durham Academy
- The Wizard of Oz, West Johnston School
- You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, Durham School of the Arts
- Footloose, Jordan High School
- In the Heights, Hillside High School
- The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Sanderson High School
- Thoroughly Modern Millie, Enloe High School
For more information about the Triangle Rising Star Program, visit: http://www.dpacnc.com/trs.
For more information about the National High School Musical Theatre Awards/ Jimmy™ Awards, visit: http://nhsmta.com.