Even if same-day delivery was offered at a reasonable cost, only 22% of respondents would be much more likely to purchase something online than in the store.
Seattle, WA (PRWEB) June 09, 2014
QuestionPro, Inc., an online survey software provider, released the results of its Same-Day Delivery survey on Monday. Americans were surveyed on their attitudes and behavior toward online purchasing and the choices of shipping, particularly same-day delivery. The results showed despite 73% of online shoppers asserting same-day delivery as a great idea or at least worth trying, over 66% said the most important factors when shopping online were product price and shipping costs. With an overwhelming majority of respondents stating the cost of shipping as more important than the speed of delivery (over 93%), it’s apparent that American shoppers are willing to sacrifice promptness before price.
Even if same-day delivery was offered at a reasonable cost, only 22% of respondents would be much more likely to purchase something online than in the store. Given a hypothetical purchase with a $10 shipping charge for 5-day delivery, over 50% of respondents would not pay any sort of premium for same-day delivery. In the same way that online storage and cell phone providers have increased usage caps in recent years, so too will online vendors need to adjust with market trends for delivery. With Amazon.com’s drone shipping program in the works, retailers will have to begin competing by making same-day delivery the standard, and not premium service.
Some other findings include:
- When asked about shopping online, over 2/3 of respondents said product pricing and shipping charges were the most important factors when comparing retailers
- Almost 55% would be somewhat or much more likely consider same-day shipping, if the costs were reasonable
- 75% haven’t ever used same-day delivery for an online purchase
- If purchasing same-day delivery, 62% of respondents would expect to have their items within 4-8 hours of placing an order
- Having a retailer offer a flat rate shipping charge of $3.99 would entice 35% of respondents to return, while an offer for free shipping on orders over 50% appealed to 30% of respondents
- Groceries and medications were the two most popular categories for which respondents are most likely to purchase same-day delivery
- Over 56% state that Amazon.com’s same-day drone shipping program is either a publicity stunt or too dangerous and not very practical
- Visit http://research.questionpro.com/samedaydelivery for more information
About QuestionPro: QuestionPro is a leading provider of online survey software and premium respondent sample services that allows for fast and professional research. It services over 2.7 million users across 100 countries, including Fortune 100 companies, academic institutions, small businesses and individual DIY researchers.