Very Simple Measures Can Boost Hedgehog Numbers
Past News ReleasesRSS
UK London (PRWEB UK) 9 June 2014
Hedgehog numbers are in steep decline but simple steps can help boost their numbers and making access gaps in garden fences is the key. http://www.arkwildlife.co.uk/linkgardens
The charity Hedgehog Street has commissioned a hedgehog friendly Show Garden for RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show on 8th – 13th July 2014, to help raise awareness of the decline in hedgehog numbers and what we can do to help them.
The Show Garden has been created by award-winning garden designer Tracy Foster and hopes to demonstrate how a beautiful garden can also be beneficial to native hedgehogs through the addition of a few thoughtful features.
Working with partners BHPS, PTES and Ark Wildlife, the garden demonstrates easy steps we can all take to make our gardens more hedgehog friendly, such as adding a 5 inch access gap at the base of fence panels. These hedgehog gaps link gardens together allowing hedgehogs to roam safely, to forage, find shelter and breed. By providing access gaps and encouraging neighbours to do likewise, it is hoped whole streets can join together to create hedgehog friendly communities.
The Show Garden will include a number of hedgehog friendly features and it’s hoped homeowners can use some of these simple tips to help hedgehogs in their own gardens:
- Cut or dig a 5” gap in one or more fences to give hedgehogs access.
- Leave a ‘wild’ area in the garden for hedgehogs to forage for food.
- If you have a pond ensure it has sloping sides or a ramp for hedgehogs to drink safely.
- Check long grass before strimming and mowing.
- Add a log pile because this offers shelter and attracts beetles, a favourite hedgehog food.
- Rake fallen leaves into leaf piles. These are great for shelter and foraging.
- Put out a hedgehog house in a dry sheltered spot out of direct sunlight.
- Put out food and water during dry spells when natural sources may be hard to find.
- Stop or reduce the use of pesticides.
- Replace poisonous slug pellets with natural alternatives.
British Hedgehog Preservation Society – Help and advice
Hedgehog Street – Become a hedgehog Champion
Ark Wildlife Limited – Hedgehog houses, hedgehog food, shelters and feeding stations. Tel: 0800 085 4865