'Forked Lightning Ranch has been a sanctuary and a place of great joy and recreation for me and my family. I feel the time has come to pass the Ranch on to a new custodian of this enchanted place.' - Jane Fonda
Santa Fe, NM (PRWEB) June 13, 2014
Swan Land Company of Bozeman, Montana announces it has listed Jane Fonda’s Forked Lightning Ranch for sale for $19,500,000.
Fonda purchased the Ranch, which is 25 minutes from Santa Fe’s Historic Plaza and near the town of Pecos, NM, in 2000 and spent two years analyzing every nuance of the Ranch in order to perfectly site her personal dwelling, known as River House. The approximately 9,585 square foot home, recently featured in the March 2014 issue of Architectural Digest, incorporates Fonda’s vision for an energy efficient, personal space that embodies the traditional adobe architecture renowned in the area. The Ranch also includes the Hacienda – a 2,125 square-foot guest home as well as a 3,409 square-foot Log House, a 12-stall Equestrian Facility and a gym.
Great care was taken by Fonda to create a sustainable environment through responsible land stewardship and meticulous river restoration on the 3.5-mile stretch of the famed trout-rich Pecos River, one of the finest fisheries in New Mexico, that bisects the Ranch. Adjoining the Ranch boundary to the north and east are 311,040 acres of the Pecos National Forest, part of the 1,558,452 acre Santa Fe National Forest.
"Forked Lightning Ranch has been a sanctuary and a place of great joy and recreation for me and my family,” said Fonda. “Many changes have occurred in my Iife since 2000 and I am no longer able to spend as much time on the Ranch as I once was. I feel the time has come to pass the Ranch on to a new custodian of this enchanted place.”
The Ranch has a significant history; in 1925 the iconic rodeo promoter and “King of the Rodeo,” John “Tex” Austin purchased a series of parcels from the Pecos Pueblo Grant, calling the acquisition “Forked Lightning Ranch.” Famed architect John Gaw Meem was commissioned for the design of the ranch compound. Austin capitalized on the popularity of dude ranches – hosting “dudes” who paid money to herd cattle from Chicago to the Forked Lightning Ranch; he also was widely known for popularizing rodeo. After Austin defaulted to the bank, the Ranch was purchased and expanded by E.E. “Buddy” Fogelson, who married Hollywood’s Oscar-winner Greer Garson in 1949.
Nearby Pecos Pueblo, dated to the 15th Century, is a lasting relic of the Pueblo Indians known to have inhabited the area as early as 800 AD. The Pecos River Valley later served as a natural portal for those traveling between the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, the southern-most extension of the Rockies, and the Great Plains. Evidence of the wagon route, pioneered by homesteaders and military, still mark the eastern property boundary of the Ranch.
“We are honored to be the brokerage representing this significant piece of New Mexico’s history,” said Mike Swan, owner and managing broker at Swan Land Company. “This Ranch is unparalleled in its offering of elegant living combined with carefully guarded wilderness, a fine trout fishery and proximity to Santa Fe, one of the country’s most sophisticated, culturally-rich and oldest capital cities.”
Fonda’s extensive personal collection of antiques, artwork, rugs, furniture and her literary collection at River House are available for purchase as well as the ranch equipment and machinery. They will be negotiated and purchased outside of the real estate transaction. A complete inventory of personal property and ranch equipment is available by contacting Swan Land Company.
For more information about the Ranch or to schedule a showing, please contact Swan Land Company:
Mike Swan – Broker/Owner
Swan Land Company
1185 N. 14th Suite 1
Bozeman, Montana 59715
For media inquiries, please contact:
505 603 8643
ABOUT SWAN LAND COMPANY: Swan Land Company, based in Bozeman, Montana with a branch in Salt Lake City, Utah, is a client-driven ranch, farm and recreational land sales company. Swan Land Company has solidly built a reputation on integrity, intimate client interaction, unparalleled service, hard work, and extraordinary market knowledge. Founded by Mike Swan, previously the Managing Broker for the Montana office of Bates Sanders Swan Land Company, the associates of Swan Land Company have extensive real estate and ranch brokerage experience and specialize in representing sellers and buyers of premier agricultural and recreational properties throughout the Rocky Mountain West. Swan Land Company’s boutique style allows it to provide superior levels of personal service – leading clients through the details of each and every transaction. Through skillful execution of fiduciary responsibility and market knowledge, clients are provided with unequaled service and peace of mind.
Swan Land Company has built a solid reputation in the Rocky Mountains in handling high-profile and complex ranch and recreational property transactions. Swan’s listing, marketing and sale of the historic Broken O Ranch near Augusta, Montana consisting of approximately 124,000 acres offered at $132,500,000, placed “him in the top echelon of land brokers in the U.S.” and earned the 2012 Deal of the Year, according to the 2012 Spring Issue of The Land Report. His recent listing and sale of the $40,000,000 Lazy J Ranch in Bridger Canyon near Bozeman, Montana was also a notable transaction in the Rocky Mountain Region.
ABOUT FORKED LIGHTNING RANCH: Jane Fonda’s Forked Lightning Ranch will include the following:
1. River House: 9,585± square foot home with an additional 1,200± square feet of portal space situated on the Pecos River. 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and a personal study. 590 square foot basement. Solar panels near home site augment power supply. Stepping-stones lead to a 20-foot by 60-foot non-chlorine swimming pool surrounded by native plants and trees. An organic garden provides vegetables and herbs.
2. River House Garage: double car garage with third bay for ATVs and mountain bikes; freestanding from River House. Also contains a half bath and heat.
3. Log House: located 2 miles from the Ranch Headquarters on the Upper Road overlooking the Pecos River Valley and the adjoining Santa Fe National Forest and Pecos National Historical Park. 3,409± square feet of living space, 2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths, loft and exercise room along with office area.
4. Hacienda: 2,125 square feet of living space, two wings with courtyard at the center; west wing consists of 2 bedrooms sharing a ¾ bath and an additional bedroom with a ¾ bath. The east wing is comprised of a master bedroom with a ¾ bath and a guest room. A spacious 250± square foot patio overlooks Rowe Mesa.
5. Gym: 30’ x 20’ gym contains all of the latest fitness equipment, free weights, Pilates’ equipment and Fonda’s library of workout and exercise videos; entire east wall is mirrored and rubber-mat flooring is installed throughout.
6. Ranch Office: located immediately upon entering the main ranch compound, the office is where staff meets daily and includes maps, files and operations protocol. It is attached to the main equestrian facility and contains a half bath and washroom area.
7. Equestrian Facilities: Consisting of twelve 12’ x 12’ horse stalls, each stall is served by Ritchie automatic horse waterers. Two individual storage areas are utilized for various ranch supplies. A birthing stall and wash stall each contain hot- and cold-water spigots. Originally designed by Meem, the stable is well planned and functional, encompassing 3,235 square feet of covered loafing-shed space offering coverage from weather. Two 29’ x 30’ storage areas are contained within the horse facility. 900± square feet of dedicated space is provided for tack storage. Covered hitching posts allow riders to saddle up in the shade and a solar hot water system allows for radiant floor heat in the barn and other areas.
8. Garage: located adjacent to the horse facilities, the 1,806± square foot facility is comprised of four individual bays with 14’ roll up doors; contains a half bathroom. An 18’ x 20’ greenhouse is situated on the east side of the garage, taking advantage of morning sun.