The children we serve are full of amazing potential that is only limited by what they believe they can do . . We foster their strengths while we address their needs. We nurture their spark.
Lubbock, Texas (PRWEB) June 15, 2014
The Institute for Creative Learners is focused on assisting those students who struggle with learning as a result of Dyslexia and other learning differences. However, rather than focus only on the challenges associated with Dyslexia, the Institute seeks to capitalizes on their inherent creativity and artistic ability.
According to Ms. Condra, "These children are 'out-of-the-box' thinkers. They are the innovators, inventors, entrepreneurs, and artists of their generation. In fact, more than one third of successful US entrepreneurs are reportedly dyslexic."
Further, Ms. Condra states, "The children we serve are full of amazing potential that is only limited by what they believe they can do. Without intervention, (the earlier the better) these children can suffer a hit to their self-esteem that can be irreparable. Without intervention, our world can be deprived of their spark – deprived of the next great inventor, artist, or entrepreneur -- deprived of innovations that can make our world better. At the Institute, we help these children see their own potential. We foster their strengths while we address their needs. We nurture their spark."
The Institute’s programs so far include:
1. After-school program – Children come After School and stay until 6:00pm M-Th. In that time, they receive reading instruction, homework help, tutoring, and enrichment activities focused on art, science, technology, or engineering. Depending on need, the children receive "Take Flight" Dyslexia Instruction developed by the Scottish Rite.
2. Pre-Flight program – The Institute provides reading readiness instruction for 4-5 year olds also developed by the Scottish Rite.
3. Imagination Station – The Institute provides Enrichment programs on select Saturdays that thus far been focused on Art, Robotics, and Rockets, with many more subjects to come.
4. Summer Camp – All Camps include reading instruction combined with many different types of art, including sculpture and painting. The camps also include robotics, computer coding, cooking with fractions, molecular cooking, rockets, geography, and a study of color.
5. Pre-school and Public School -- In 2014/2015 school year, The Institute will be providing services at an area public school for approximately 120 pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students.
6. Dyslexia Screening and Testing – The Institute provides Dyslexia Preliminary Screenings and Full Testing.
7. Pull Out Program – The Institute is the process of developing more pull out programs for children to receive targeted Dyslexia therapy during the school day.
The Institute for Creative Learners was established in 2013 and has been providing services at a location in downtown Lubbock. The Institute is a project of Generation Covenant, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, which was formed in 2003 as Adoption Covenant. Adoption Covenant is a licensed child placing agency that has assisted over 300 children find their forever homes and received the 2012 Congressional Angel in Adoption Award. Merinda K. Condra, its CEO received the 2012 YWCA Women of Excellence Award and the 2013 Volunteer Center Get Involved Award.
When Generation Covenant was approached to take over the two Lubbock Planned Parenthood Clinics last year, the prospect of turning the former abortion clinic into a place of light and laughter was a significant motivating factor. According to CEO, Merinda K. Condra, "as an organization, we could see so much potential. We have a vision. We can already see the children we will serve playing in the courtyard -- we can already hear their laughter."
In October of 2013, Generation Covenant took ownership of the real property located at 67th and Indiana in Lubbock, Texas. All Planned Parenthood board members resigned and the abortion clinic was closed as a condition of Generation Covenant's agreement to take over both this location and the medical (non-abortion) clinic located in Briercroft Office Park, also in Lubbock, Texas.