Marina Del Rey, CA (PRWEB) July 01, 2014
According to the National Institutes of Health, eight out of 10 people will experience back pain at some point in their lives, and of those, millions will lead a diminished quality of life because they neglect to do something about it.
DISC is composed of like-minded specialists who want to help people achieve better health through whatever means necessary. While in some cases, that means surgery, more often back pain sufferers are able to improve their spinal alignment and ease pain through other means.
Dr. Hooman M. Melamed, who has been featured on The Doctors and Dr. Oz, as well as an assortment of local and national media publications, wants people to understand that they have options when it comes to their care.
“Far too often, we see patients who are worried sick because they think their only recourse is back surgery requiring years of recovery,” said Dr. Melamed. “That’s not the case. There are numerous methods we can try before we decide that a surgery like spinal fusion is the way to go. Modern advances mean that even if you do need surgery, you can go home the same day. In a few months, you can be right back to all normal activities.”
With that in mind, DISC urges anyone who suffers from back pain to speak with a doctor about these eight courses of action, which might be enough to put back pain to rest.
1. Rest - This is one of the simplest yet most overlooked methods of treatment. Rather than soldier through immense pain, take a couple days off of work to just rest. You may be surprised by the results.
2. Exercise - Many people hurt their backs because their spines don’t get much movement. Exercise on a regular basis, working with a personal trainer to identify the type of workout that will aid back health.
3. Medication - Any number of over-the-counter medications may keep your pain in check. You may also be able to obtain a prescription from a doctor, although DISC cautions anyone against becoming too reliant on these, given the potential for abuse among some painkillers.
4. Diet - The more weight on the spine, the easier it is for misalignment to occur. By eating right, some of the pressure placed on the spine can be alleviated by keeping your weight at optimum range.
5. Physical Therapy - DISC is a big proponent of MedX training, which strengthens your spine. When pain has gotten out of control and no amount of home remedies are doing the trick, seek out a doctor and inquire about the possibility of regular physical therapy including Pilates and yoga.
6. Pain Management - In conjunction with physical therapy, some patients are able to benefit from injections that can reduce pain dramatically when administered at the site of the compressed nerve.
7. Spinal Fusion - Many instances of back pain are the result of two vertebrae falling out of alignment with one another, and in some cases, the only option for correction is a spinal fusion procedure, in which the two sections of the spine will be fused together via outside intervention. This once time-consuming and risky procedure can now be conducted safely and efficiently on an outpatient and minimally invasive basis by DISC where the patient can go home the same day and back to work in one week in some cases.
8. Other Surgeries - Other causes of back pain could mean different types of minimally invasive surgery, including microdiscectomies, total disc replacements, nucleoplasties, and more. Consult a doctor to find out what the right course of action would be for you.
About DISC Sports & Spine Center
DISC Sports & Spine Center (DISC) is one of America’s foremost providers of minimally invasive spine procedures and advanced microscopic techniques. DISC’s highly specialized physicians apply both established and innovative solutions to diagnose, treat and rehabilitate their patients in a one-stop, multi-disciplinary setting. With a wide range of specialists under one roof, the result is an unmatched continuity of care with more efficiency, less stress for the patient and a zero MRSA infection rate. DISC’s ambulatory surgery centers include Diagnostic and Interventional Surgical Center and DISC Surgery Center at Newport Beach. Both are accredited by the AAAHC and are located within minutes of major airports with reasonably priced hotels nearby, which is very convenient for out-of-town patients. DISC is also the official medical services provider for Red Bull and a proud partner of the LA Kings.
For more information, contact 866-481-DISC or visit http://discmdgroup.com/spinal-fusion/ to learn more about spinal fusion from DISC.