M&A value has increased in most regions in H1 2014, with global value reaching its highest level for a number of years. The positive result is in stark contrast to global volume, which has hit its lowest point in the last nine periods under review.
London (PRWEB UK) 27 June 2014
The value of global mergers and acquisitions (M&A) in H1 2014 rose 3 per cent to USD 2,034 billion, the highest recorded for the last nine periods under review, according to information collected by the leading M&A database Zephyr. Conversely, global M&A volume slipped to a new low recorded for the nine periods under review, falling back from 41,496 deals in H2 2013 to 35,429 transactions. Full report here.
Zephyr shows that increasing deal values in Western Europe, North America, Asia Pacific and the Middle East contributed towards the overall global rise in H1 2014. The largest increase was in the Middle East, where the value of M&A more than doubled from USD 3,537 million in H2 2013 to USD 7,127 million, while Western Europe increased 19 per cent from USD 464,286 million to USD 553,163 million over the same timeframe. M&A recorded for North America improved marginally, rising from USD 757,406 million to USD 769,914 million and Asia-Pacific advanced from USD 476,751 million to USD 478,226 million. Zephyr is published by the leading business intelligence publisher, Bureau van Dijk.
Of all the regions examined in the period under review, the only one to register a decline in value was Central and Eastern Europe, which slipped from USD 124,102 million in H2 2013 to USD 68,727 million, representing the region’s lowest value result since H1 2012 (USD 48,359 million). Of note the generally positive value results were counteracted by declines in volume across the board, with the exception of North America, which was the only region to increase in terms of both volume and value.
Lisa Wright, Zephyr director, commented, “M&A value has increased in most regions in H1 2014, with global value reaching its highest level for a number of years. The positive result is in stark contrast to global volume, which has hit its lowest point in the last nine periods under review. This suggests that deal considerations are increasing, with acquirors willing to spend more in order to ensure they get the best targets”.
Meanwhile, the Zephyr database shows the same pattern is evident in global private equity and venture capital investment, which increased for the fourth consecutive half-year period in terms of value, while volume declined from 4,955 in H2 2013 to 4,758. In spite of this weakening, volume was still at its second highest level of the nine periods under review.
For further information, please contact:
+44 (0)161 838 9554
Notes to Editors:
1. Activity is based on the activity of the target country
2. The date range for H1 2014 is deals announced between 01/01/2014 – 22/06/2014 inclusive
3. The sector breakdown uses targets’ activities as defined to be ‘Major Sectors’ by Zephyr
4. The Western Europe region covers target companies in Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
5. The Asia/Asia Pacific region covers target companies the Far East, Central Asia and Oceania.
6. The Middle East region covers target companies in Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Jordan Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, UAE and Yemen. It excludes Israel.
7. The Russia/CEE region covers target companies in Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
Zephyr is an information solution containing M&A, IPO and venture capital deals and rumours with links to detailed financial company information. Zephyr covers various deal types including M&A activity, IPOs, joint ventures and private equity deals. It’s published by Bureau van Dijk (BvD). The deals on Zephyr are linked to the company financials and peer reports on BvD's product range, which includes Orbis, Amadeus and Fame, for company valuation and benchmarking.
Zephyr contains information on over one million deals. Approximately 75,000 deals are added each year depending on levels of deal activity. Zephyr has no minimum deal value. All deal information is translated into English. Zephyr's UK-based researchers speak 35 languages and use native language and English sources in their deal enquiries. http://www.zephyrdealdata.com
About Bureau van Dijk
Bureau van Dijk (BvD) is one of the world’s leading publishers of electronic business and company information. The company has 33 offices worldwide. BvD is best known for its range of international company information products that combines multiple high-quality data sources with flexible software to allow users to manipulate data for research, marketing intelligence and analysis. Products include Fame, Orbis, Amadeus, Bankscope, Isis and Osiris. BvD also publishes the global M&A database, Zephyr. http://www.bvdinfo.com