I am in awe of the experiences that these honored chapters are providing for their members. They are filled with selfless, honorable pre- and in-service educators. Congratulations to all of our award recipients.
Indianapolis, IN (PRWEB) June 30, 2014
Kappa Delta Pi (KDP), International Honor Society in Education, has announced the recipients of its 2014 Awards for Education Excellence, which honors individuals and chapters for their significant contributions to the society and the education world.
This is the first year that the awards are being given on an annual basis; historically, awards have been granted biennially and announced at the Society’s Convocation.
“For the first time in the history of our awards program, KDP offered annual awards to recognize outgoing chapter leaders and members for their service to the Society,” said Chris Beaman, Assistant Director of Membership & Chapter Services at Kappa Delta Pi. “Reading through the submissions was a huge privilege for the staff as we were able to read accounts of the incredible impact our chapters and chapter leaders are having on their communities, peers, students, and the education profession.”
The awards program consists of Chapter Programming awards, given for excellence in community service, professional development, fundraising, membership, and communication; the Phoenix Award for chapter improvement; the Distinguished Chapter Officer Award, which honors current or immediate past chapter officers who display the ideals of KDP; and the Regional Chapter Counselor Award, which recognizes counselors in each region who provide exceptional guidance and mentorship to chapter members.
“I am in awe of the experiences that these honored chapters are providing for their members,” Beaman said. “They are filled with selfless, honorable pre- and in-service educators. Congratulations to all of our award recipients.”
Chapter Program Awards
- Gannon University, Growing Readers, Counselor Dr. Robin Quick
- Manhattan College, Safe Halloween, Counselor Dr. Raymond Meagher
- SUNY-New Paltz, A Voice to Remember, Counselor E. Kim Strauss
- Temple University, Duckrey Elementary Library Project, Counselors Jason Bozzone and Janine Warnas
- Keene State College, Inspiring Conversations in Education (ICE) Conference, Counselor Dr. Darrell Hucks
- Marian University, Fond du Lac, Celebrating the Strengths of Individuals with Disabilities Beyond the Boundaries of Autism: Life Lessons Learned, Counselors Drs. Aida Michlowski and Donna Innes
- Mercyhurst University, Teaching and Learning Expo, Counselor Dr. Kathleen Bukowski
- Mount Saint Mary College, Wonderful World of Websites: An Introduction to Technology for the Common Core, Counselor Dr. Ludmilla Smirnova
- Rowan University, Programming Calendar, Counselors Drs. Corrine Meredith and Martha Viator
- Seton Hall University, Interventions with Autistic Spectrum Disorder Students, Counselors Dr. Lauren McFadden and Omayra Arocho
- St. John’s University, Queens, Temple Grandin, Counselor Charisse Willis
- Stevenson University, We All Learn, Counselors Dr. Clotile Galbraith and Jill Suffel
- The College of New Jersey, Conference for Aspiring Teachers 2014, Counselor Dr. Anthony Conte
- St. John’s University, Queens, AVON, Counselor Charisse Willis
- St. John’s University, Queens, Membership Recruitment, Counselor Charisse Willis
- Temple University, Membership Recruitment, Counselors Jason Bozzone and Janine Warnas
- University of Mississippi, Membership Recruitment, Counselors Drs. Fannye Love and Virginia Moore
The Phoenix Award for Chapter Improvement
No recipients for the 2014 awards cycle.
Distinguished Chapter Officer Award
- Jordan Ahmay, Marian University, President
- Cameron Dickson, St. John’s University, Queens, Co-Vice President
- Elise Faucheux, Tulane University Alumni Chapter, Foundation Representative
- Nicholas Kliminski, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, President
- Lauren McVey, Rowan University, Vice President of Membership & Alumni and Graduate Liaison
- Nicole Simon, Northcentral University, Prescott Valley, President
- Christina Tenore, Seton Hall University, President
- Aston Thompson, University of North Texas, Treasurer
Regional Chapter Counselor Award
- Community Colleges: Lisa Self, Tarrant County College–Northeast
- Midwest: Dr. Julie Hentges, University of Central Missouri
- Northeast: Charisse Willis, St. John’s University, Queens
- Southeast: Dr. Arleen Mariotti, University of South Florida
- West: Dr. Christine Purkiss, Angelo State University
To learn more about KDP’s Awards for Education Excellence program, head to http://www.kdp.org/recognition/awards.php.
About Kappa Delta Pi:
Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education, is a 501 (c) (3) organization established in 1911 to recognize and promote excellence in education, provide a reasoned voice for significant issues, and link learning communities of educators. Through its programs, services, and strategic partnerships, KDP supports the professional growth and teaching practices of educators throughout all phases and levels of their careers. The organization currently has more than 600 chapters and an active membership of nearly 40,000 worldwide.