Polyonics polyimide LML materials are resistant to higher temperatures than PET and acrylic LML materials and provide longer term durability than thermal transfer printed label materials.
Westmoreland, NH 03467 (PRWEB) July 10, 2014
Polyonics new family of laser markable label materials represents the next generation label technology for high temperature and harsh environment automotive ID and tracking applications. The LML materials are available in black (XF-670) and TrueWhite (XF-671 and XF-672) versions. They include high temperature polyimide films, durable cross linked polymer coatings, low surface energy (LSE) pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA) and liners for ease of handling and die cutting. The LML materials can be easily ablated by most low power CO2, YAG, fiber diode, UV and Vanadate lasers with the aggressive PSAs adhering to a wide variety of surfaces including metals, plastics, ceramics and resins.
High Temperature Alternative to Polyester and Acrylic LML Materials
The Polyonics polyimide LML products provide a higher temperature and more flexible alternative to the polyester (PET) and acrylic LML products currently used in automotive LML applications today. Polyimide is the number one choice for label applications involving exposure to high temperatures and harsh chemicals allowing the Polyonics LML products to provide a higher degree of dimensional stability and have greater resistances to harsh chemicals than polyester (PET) and acrylic LML materials. In addition, the Polyonics LML materials do not exhibit the same brittleness associated with acrylic LML materials.
Superior to Thermal Transfer Printed Labels
The weak link in traditional thermal transfer printed labels (TTP) tends to be the ink. This is particularly true in automotive under-the-hood applications due to the high temperatures, harsh chemicals and high levels of abrasion. The Polyonics LML products have been tested to the GMW 14573 and GM 6121M label performance requirements. The results of this rigorous testing show the LML materials provide high temperature, chemical and abrasion resistances as well as superior weatherability when compared to thermal transfer label materials.
LML Features and Benefits
- Flexible, high temperature alternate to PET and acrylic LMLs for harsh environments
- No overlaminates required due to enhanced abrasion resistance versus TTP labels
- Increased long term durability compared to TTP label materials for harsh applications
- Easily ablated by low power CO2, YAG, UV, Vanadate and fiber diode lasers
- Produces high definition 2D and linear bar code images and alpha-numeric characters
- Black (XF-670) and TrueWhite (XF-671 and XF-672) LML options available
- Low surface energy PSAs with liners for ease of handling and die cutting
- Tested to the GMW 14573 and GM 6121M under-the-hood automotive label performance requirements
- Rework and/or re-positioning of laser marked images
- XF-670 offers antistatic (10^4 to 10^9 Ohms) feature and low peel voltage (<100v)
- Halogen free, REACH and RoHS compliant
Polyonics manufactures high performance polymeric materials for harsh environments. These include printable and laser markable label materials, single and double coated engineered tapes and flexible substrates with highly reflective and printable top coats. Polyonics materials are used by OEMS and specialty die-cut converters worldwide. The ultra-thin polyimide, polyester and aluminum materials are designed expressly for high temperatures and harsh environments plus provide flame retardant and static dissipative performances for electronics, automobile, aerospace and medical components.
For more information or to receive LML samples for evaluation, please contact Dave Genest at 603.903.6327 or dave.genest(at)polyonics(dot)com.