It has been an honor to participate in the BET Experience... and join BET fans in supporting our service members...," said Juliet Gilliam, USO Vice President of Celebrity Recruitment. "We are grateful... and hope they will be inspired to continue...
Arlington, VA (PRWEB) July 01, 2014
Twitter Pitch: @hoseachanchez, @KatlynnSimone, @aaronDspears, @ravengoodwin, @stephencbishop & @trevorjackson5 among others make #USOmoments at @BETExperience
ARLINGTON, VA. (July 1, 2014) – In celebration of African American Music Appreciation Month and the USO’s “Every Moment Counts” campaign, the USO joined forces with BET Networks and pushed out more than 300 “Thank You Notes for the Troops” at the BET Experience Presented by Coca-Cola® Fan Fest June 28 and 29, 2014. The only military non-profit who participated in this year’s BET Experience Fan Fest, the USO deployed a camo-covered Mobile USO to the Los Angeles Convention Center and invited attendees to create and send personalized “Thank You Notes for the Troops” via social media as part of the partnership activation.
- Hundreds of Fan Fest attendees and BET Networks representatives flocked to the Mobile USO and pushed out personalized messages of thanks to troops, including Sonya Lockett, Vice President of Corporate and Social Responsibility at BET Networks.
- More than 12 celebrities also took time out of their busy schedule to send a USO Thank You Note to troops, among them were actors Hosea Chanchez and Katlynn Simone of BET’s hit sitcom “The Game;” actors Aaron Spears, BJ Britt, Richard Roundtree, Raven Goodwin, Stephen Bishop, Latarsha Rose and Richard Brooks of BET’s break away hit show “Being Mary Jane;” actor/singer Trevor Jackson; actress Imani Hakim of “Everybody Hates Chris” and “The Gabby Douglas Story” and actor/comedian Chris Spencer, among others.
- Adding to the fun onsite, the USO (courtesy of BET Networks and the Bob Hope Hollywood USO at LAX) gifted several local troops as well as SSgt. Joseph and SSgt. Crystina Rubio of the U.S. Air Force with free tickets to the “BET Awards,” held Sunday, June 29th at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live.
- The USO’s “Thank You Notes for the Troops” is part of the “Every Moment Counts” campaign – a year-round, national initiative that rallies Americans to honor and create moments that matter for our troops and their families. “Every Moment Counts” refers to the countless, every day moments – from family dinners and date nights to childbirths and bedtime stories – that our nation’s troops and military families sacrifice in service to our country.
- Sending Thank You Notes reminds the nation that no moment, big or small, should be taken for granted and that the simplest actions can make all the difference.
- The Mobile USO is designed to support troops serving in remote areas and locations without a USO center by providing a comfortable place for them to relax and connect online with family and friends during downtime. The Mobile USO is equipped with laptops, large screen televisions, video game consoles, Wi-Fi access, casual seating, refrigerators, coffee makers, microwaves and ample seating.
- On February 4, 2014, the USO celebrated its 73rd year of creating special moments for our troops and military families. Every single day, USO staff and volunteers worldwide create 30,000 special moments. As of May 2014, the USO has deployed 43 celebrity entertainers on 32 moment-filled entertainment tours to 14 countries and 13 states, entertaining more than 60,554 troops and military families stationed around the world.
- For more information on the “Every Moment Counts” campaign, please visit USOmoments.org or join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter using #USOmoments.
Attributed to Juliet Gilliam, USO Vice President of Celebrity Recruitment:
"It has been an honor to participate in the BET Experience this weekend and join BET fans in supporting our service members and families. Our troops often miss everyday special moments like those we have enjoyed seeing this weekend and having the ability to send ‘thank you notes to the troops” created a wonderful opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice. We are grateful to the BET fans that visited Mobile USO and hope they will be inspired to continue spreading messages of thanks to honor our troops and their families."
Attributed to Sonya Lockett, Vice President of Corporate and Social Responsibility, BET Networks:
"BET Networks was excited to have the USO be a part of the BET Experience Fan Fest. We have great respect for the sacrifices made by the men and women who serve in our nation's military and were honored to work with our partners at the USO to help send these notes of thanks."
USO photos: http://bit.ly/1iRe63G
USO video: http://bit.ly/1qNzXcc
# # #
About the USO
The USO lifts the spirits of America’s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors, troops in transition and families of the fallen. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, BNSF Railway, Clark Construction Group, LLC, The Coca-Cola Company, Grand Canyon University, JCPenney, Jeep, Johnson & Johnson, Kroger, Northrop Grumman Corporation and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, BIC, The Boeing Company, ConAgra Foods, FedEx, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation, Procter & Gamble, TKS Telepost Kabel-Service Kaiserslautern GmbH & Co. KG and Wawa Inc. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this important mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.