Marseille, France (PRWEB) July 16, 2014
Wyplay, creator of software solutions for leading pay-TV operators, today announced the immediate availability of version 2.0 of its set-top box middleware, codenamed “Bull Frog”. This new version notably provides fully-integrated support of “Direct to Home” (DTH) satellite broadcast pay TV services using the DVB standard on top of already-supported Cable and Terrestrial front-ends.
According to leading analyst firm IHS, the total deployment for digital satellite DTH services in 2013 exceeded 200 million households worldwide, representing 40% of the digital TV market, ahead of other segments including cable (36%), IPTV (20%) and DTT (2%).
With “Bull Frog”, including support for DVB, all Frog by Wyplay Licensees are now able to address 78% of the market thanks to a common field-proven solution, customizable to meet the needs of the most demanding pay TV operators worldwide. In addition Wyplay announced its intent to release IPTV and OTT support to Frog members as part of a future version 3.0 before end of year.
“This “Bull Frog” release represents a major milestone for Wyplay, the Frog Community, and the pay TV industry at large,” said Wyplay CEO Jacques Bourgninaud. “It is the first time that the complete, fully-tested and fully integrated software source code of a DVB stack with satellite, cable and terrestrial capabilities is made available through a collaborative ecosystem. The open nature of the Frog community gives digital TV operators worldwide more freedom and a more reliable path to success when it comes to selecting the suppliers for their convergent IPTV / broadcast devices.”
In detail, the DVB stack built-in with “Bull Frog” supports the following features:
• DVB Service Information parsing and metadata management (DVB-SI, also known as ETSI Standard EN 300 468)
• Configurable DVB scan (Satellite / Cable / Terrestrial) with NIT/BAT, TP list, and more
• Ability to tune scan algorithms with permanent program monitoring
• Channel list source
• EITs source for present/following and schedule
• System clock synchronisation
• Favorites list
• Configurable parental control, regions and blackout
• Signal quality management
• Subtitles and teletext support
“Supporting the management of DVB Service Information metadata is crucial for TV Operators to have the ability to distribute changes to their Electronic Program Guides in real time to their subscriber base, automatically adapt Personal Video Recording start and stop times to changes in a show, or more simply to display a banner with all TV channels in the operator’s bouquet,” said Wyplay CTO Arnaud Chataignier.
“Bull Frog” is available to all Licensees in source code form and as an Operator-grade fully tested reference implementation on the following reference hardware platforms:
• The hybrid Satellite / IPTV "Monaco" STiH410 system on chip reference design from ST Microelectronics with a dual- satellite tuner,
• The Broadcom 7230-based hybrid Terrestrial / IPTV set-top box from Airties.
The “Bull Frog” release technical documentation and source code are available immediately to all Frog Licensees through the Frog Community Portal website.
The Frog initiative was created by Wyplay and launched at the beginning of 2014. It aims to free all actors in the entire digital-TV ecosystem from being locked into proprietary solutions. Built around Wyplay’s software solutions, made available under a shared-source model, it gathers a growing community of more than 50 companies:
• Operators: 3B TV, Bayonette, Digiturk, Know Telecom
• Devices Vendors: 4Mod Technology, Airties, Arcadyan, Coship, Dune HD, Easy Digital, Fortis, Homecast, Hwacom, Intek, Jiuzhou, Kaon Media, OpenTech, Skyworth, Tring
• Chipset Vendors: ALi, Sigma Designs, ST Microelectronics
• Technology Services: 2Screen, ADP Technologies, Aeon Communication, Altim, CInfo, CMedios, Eurogiciel, Evio, Farncombe, INet Services, Intigral, IT Touch, JustInteract, Khulan Content, L&T Technology Services, Mathembedded, Neotech, NeST, Romsat, RT-RK, S3 Group, Savis Vietnam, Wit Software, YeniHayat IT Corp
• Software and Solutions Vendors: Accedo, Awox, Connected Labs, Cybronics, Paragon Software, Quadrille
# # #
Independent and internationally recognized, Wyplay develops open, modular and innovative software solutions for IPTV, cable, satellite and terrestrial TV operators and broadcasters around the world. Wyplay technology enables operators to select, configure and easily deploy solutions with the market’s richest pre-configured modular solutions including electronic program guide, zapper, video recorder, media-center, home-connectivity, social TV, HTML5, Android, OTT platform, multi-screen, multi-room, …
Wyplay’s Service Offering allows operators to deploy solutions based on their specific product strategy and market needs. Wyplay is a strategic partner for such leading brands as SFR, Vodafone, Belgacom and now Canal+. To learn more about Wyplay’s set-top box, multi-screen and OTT solutions, please visit http://www.wyplay.com and http://www.FrogByWyplay.com.
Head of Communications
Tel: +33 (0) 621 047705