Whether a homeowner or a renter, married or single, Mattress Firm and Homes.com offer moving do’s and don’ts to help Americans simplify their summer moves.
Houston, TX (PRWEB) July 08, 2014
Summer is peak moving season. In 2013, 15.3 million Americans moved between June and August, according to the American Moving & Storage Association. To help prepare for the hectic summer moving season, Mattress Firm, Inc., and Homes.com have partnered to provide outside-the-box tips to help movers avoid unnecessary stress and reduce property damage.
“Summer season is peak moving time as families across the country take advantage of great weather and move into their new places in time for back-to-school,” said Wendy Froehlich, vice president of marketing at Homes.com. “Although finding your new home is wonderful and exciting, moving can be overwhelming as you juggle packing and moving essential belongings. Following a few simple tips and tricks can help ease the stress and result in a smooth transition from your current space to your new home.”
Between 2012 and 2013, the most common reasons for moving were housing-related, at 48 percent, followed by family matters and employment. Renters were also far more mobile than homeowners, with 24.9 percent moving between 2012 and 2013, compared to 5.1 percent of homeowners, according to the 2012-2013 U.S. Census Bureau population survey.
“Many people find that moving is the ideal time to replace a mattress, especially if it has reached or surpassed the eight-year mark,” said Steve Stagner, CEO of Mattress Firm, Inc. “With 11 of Mattress Firm’s top 20 markets included in the list of states with the highest number of total moves in 2013, we try to simplify our customers’ moves by providing helpful moving tips and offering our Red Carpet Delivery and Removal service, ensuring hassle-free delivery for your new mattress and pick up for your old one as you begin life in your new home.”
Whether a homeowner or a renter, married or single, Mattress Firm and Homes.com offer the following moving do’s and don’ts to help Americans simplify their summer moves.
Eight Clever Tips to Avoid a Moving Fail
1. Plan Ahead: The key to executing a move that is both efficient and stress-free is to plan your move weeks before the actual day. A moving file and calendar are great ways to keep all of your moving information, such as your lease or mortgage contract, utility hook up and power documents and other important information, in one place.
2. Get Organized: Organize boxes for their corresponding room in your new home, sealing them with colored duct tape to color code.
3. Don’t Crack Under Pressure: Keep your plates in one piece by stacking Styrofoam plates in between each one, and protect glasses by putting them inside pairs of (clean) socks.
4. Vacuum Seal Out of Season Clothing: Don’t waste time fumbling through out of season clothing. Not only will it take up less space and be a breeze to pack, but can go directly into storage in the new place.
5. Think of the Little Things: Keep sandwich bags handy to hold any small items you have to take apart, such as a mounted flat-screen television or your bed frame, and tape them to the backside. Label the bags accordingly, making unpacking and reassembling furniture a breeze!
6. Sweet Dreams: Check the mattress tag; if a mattress is over eight years old, avoid the hassle of moving it and arrange to get a new one delivered to your new home. If the mattress is still in its prime, use a mattress protector to transport it safely to a new home.
7. Green Thumb: Transport plants delicately by using a Christmas tree bag to keep all of the appendages safe and prevent snapping.
8. Survival Kit: Make life easier when arriving at the new home by packing an easily accessible overnight bag with clothes and necessary toiletries. Don’t forget to include first-day essentials, such as a box cutter, paper towels, trash bags and power strips.
States with the highest number of total moves in 2013, both inbound and outbound, were California, Texas, Florida, Virginia, Georgia, New York and North Carolina, notes Homes.com. The Western U.S. experienced the highest moving rate, at 13.4 percent of all moves between 2012 and 2013, and the Northeast experienced the lowest moving rate among the regions at 7.8 percent, according to the U.S. Census Bureau population survey.
About Mattress Firm
With more than 1,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 36 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress specialty retailers. Founded in 1989, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading bedding specialty retailer, obtaining more than $1.2 billion through sales in 2013. The company offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Sealy, Tempur-Pedic, Serta, Simmons, Stearns & Foster, and Hampton & Rhodes. Mattress Firm offers customers comfortable store environments, guarantees on price, comfort and service, all with the ultimate goal of ensuring customers Save Money. Sleep Happy.®
Mattress Firm was named Furniture Today’s “Top Bedding Retailer” in 2013 and a “Top Workplace” by the Houston Chronicle in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
As one of the nation’s top online real estate destinations, Homes.com inspires consumers to dream big. From affordable houses to luxurious estates, condos, apartment rentals and more, Homes.com features more than 3 million property listings and exclusive distribution of over 20,000 apartment listings from ForRent.com in a user-friendly format, making finding your next home easy. Visitors to the Homes.com blog will find a collection of rich information and posts on DIY projects, painting, organization tips and more, providing the ultimate resource for everything home related. From finding your first apartment to buying your first home, upgrading, downsizing and everything in between, Homes.com is an inspiring and engaging partner in every phase of the home buying or renting process.