These activities can provide an opening to let us experience a destination more deeply, to get a sense of really being there, rather than just being a tourist passing through.
(PRWEB UK) 11 July 2014
Of the top 20 most booked holidays worldwide through responsibletravel.com since January 2014, 40% are activity based European escapes, including kayaking, cycling, walking, yoga and a host of other active adventures. The most popular destinations remain the Adriatic states of Croatia and Montenegro with 30% of the top 20 most booked holidays so far this year in Croatia, and a week-long trip to kayak, cycle and hike in Montenegro is now the third-most booked holiday since January 2014.
Responsibletravel.com Managing Director Justin Francis comments, “Exploring a country by walking, cycling and kayaking allow us to make a much closer connection to local people and environments, as we listen to the stories of local guides and root ourselves in the landscape of our destination. These activities can provide an opening to let us experience a destination more deeply, to get a sense of really being there, rather than just being a tourist passing through. Ultimately this leads to a much more enriching, much more authentic holiday experience.”
In response to the popularity of its sea-kayaking holidays, responsibletravel.com has released a new 2 minute travel guide to sea kayaking (http://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/sea-kayaking), offering an honest, open overview for experienced and wannabe paddlers alike. Recommended for travellers who enjoy the water and marine ecology, who are interested in learning from the expertise of an experienced guide and who want to see well-known destinations from a different, more tranquil perspective, the guide also offers expert tips on how to sea kayak safely and responsibly, with respect for the wildlife and nature encountered along the journey.
Responsibletravel.com rounds up 5 surprising sea-kayaking facts for first-timers.
- It’s great for wildlife lovers. Peaceful paddling allows close up wildlife encounters with minimal disturbance. And the best places to kayak just happen to be some of the best wildlife destinations too. From seals, whales and dolphins abound off Ireland’s west coast and sea turtles in Turkey to Komodo Dragons on Indonesian Islands.
- Close to home. Croatia and Turkey might be the best-known places to paddle, but closer to home the stunning Pembrokeshire coastline in Wales make for great adventures for all abilities. And the rocky sheltered coves means almost guaranteed outings, whatever the British weather.
- There's no need to be a pro. It’s easy to pick up the basics, trips can be tailored to ability levels and expert guides are on hand at all times.
- It’s ideal for active families. Bond over a double kayak or allow children to enjoy exploring in their own boat. Kids who love the water will love the new-found sense of freedom, under the close supervision of a qualified guide.
- It’s not all about adrenaline. Although some sea kayaking will be on bumpy seas, other trips will be a placid paddle with plenty of time to relax.
Notes to editors:
responsibletravel.com is the world's leading online travel agent for responsible holidays and a pioneer of responsible tourism. Started in 2001 with backing from Dame Anita Roddick of The Body Shop the site's mantra is 'travel like a local'. It sells holidays that are about more than just a brief stay somewhere - instead it is travel that offers a real connection with the people, the landscape, the culture, the food and the environment. It offers over 7,500 responsible holidays from over 3,000 holiday providers which all support communities and conservation. Handpicked local specialists provide authentic holidays for those seeking adventure, culture, or luxury whether travelling with family, joining a small group or looking for tailor-made experiences worldwide, in destinations as diverse as India - http://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/India, Vietnam - http://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/vietnam and Jordan - http://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/jordan.
In addition responsibletravel.com:
- founded and organises The World Responsible Tourism Awards, celebrating 11 years at World Travel Market this year.
- campaigns for positive change in the travel and tourism industry.
CEO Justin Francis has been included in Courvoisiers The Future 500, Thames and Hudsons 60 Innovators Shaping Our Creative Future and taken his place on the Advisory Board of The International Centre for Responsible Tourism at Manchester Metropolitan University.
The company is based in Brighton's North Laine district, England.
01273 829 269 (UK)