Toronto, Canada (PRWEB) July 14, 2014
Throughout this past June 100s of mid-to-senior level executives from across the clinical trials space, representing 38 countries globally, registered for Xtalks 1st Annual eCongress webinar series entitled “Optimizing Patient Participation in Clinical Trials. Attract. Engage. Retain.”
This well-attended eCongress kicked off with internationally renowned R&D expert, Ken Getz, of Tufts CSDD, who provided a Keynote address on Reinventing Drug Development through Patient Centricity.
Throughout this complimentary six-part series the focus remained on the patient/study volunteer, concluding with an innovative panel discussion with advocate and ePatient, Sarah E. Kucharski, querying a panel of industry thought leaders on Challenges & Opportunities Going Forward.
Sample of Important Questions answered in this series:
1. What are some ways that patient centric clinical trials lower drug development costs and reduce cycle times?
2. Who or what does today's pharma model revolve around? Is it the physician, the patient, or the market?
3. How does creating an engaged patient community translate into an increase in patient recruitment?
4. How would you apply the patient centricity model to engage sites to participate in a trial with a difficult design?
5. What's the ONE thing pharma should do to see the impact of the ePatient?
6. Are there differences between ePatients from different parts of the globe?
7. How do you see the future of trial recruitment changing to take into consideration big data?
8. Only 3-5% of adults with cancer participate in research. How do we change that?
9. Should sites be ranked (e.g. top 100 sites for running trials)? And who should rank them? Patients? Sponsors?
10. Does low clinical trial enrollment have a tech solution? Should the solution target patients or providers?
Sample of Memorable Quotes from this series:
“It’s not about bringing patients to trials; it’s about bringing trials to patients.” Ken Getz @TuftsCSDD
“Accessible and understandable lay results to participants is part of transparency - not enough just to publish on clinical trials registry.” Lilly Clinical OI @Lilly_COI
"All revolutions start with open discussion... Next step is to take it from discussion to action."
Joseph Kim @JoPeKim
“It's an intersection of science, practicality and usability. Without patient input, we cannot progress.” Paulo Moreira, EMD Serono
“We were a very integral part of study to donate our time and data, so "thank you" is nice touch, but being in the loop is better.” “Researchers need to realize there is trial site separation anxiety for patients when studies end. Often they ARE the patients’ healthcare.” Jeri Burtchell @FingoHead
“ePatients can influence change. Their numbers are growing.”
“If we design trials with patients and for patients, there will be less burden on patient lives and will increase trials recruitment.” Annette McKinnon @anetto
Missed any of the eCongress series? Purchase an eCongress eBox set of the archives for a nominal fee at http://xtalks.com/Purchase-eCONGRESS-eBox-set.ashx.
Thank you to our esteemed presenters who work tirelessly each day to improve clinical trials and bring safe, new medicines to market and improve the health and lives of patients:
- Peter Coë, Executive Director and Co-founder, Tudor Reilly Health
- Kenneth A. Getz, MBA, Internationally recognized R&D expert, TUFTS CSDD and Founder, CISCRP
- Zachary Hallinan, Director of Patient Communication and Engagement Programs, CISCRP
- Ronald Heslegrave, Ph.D., Corporate Chief of Research, William Osler Health System
- Joseph Kim, MBA, Director Clinical Operations, Patient Engagement and Recruitment, Shire Pharmaceuticals (now Senior Advisor, Clinical Development Innovation, Eli Lilly and Company)
- Sarah E. Kucharski, Patient Advocate and ePatient, CEO/Chairman and Founder, FMD Chat
- Jerry Matczak, Community Manager, Lilly Clinical Open Innovation, Eli Lilly and Company
- Paulo Moreira, VP – GCO, Head of External Innovation, EMD Serono
- Christine Pierre, President, Society for Clinical Research Sites
Thank you to our Media and Supporting Partners:
And special thanks to:
CISCRP (The Center for Information and Study on Clinical Research Participation)
eCongress is a division of Xtalks, powered by Honeycomb Worldwide Inc. Led by global industry thought leaders, each eCongress is a month-long webinar series, at your fingertips, which delivers practical, real-world insights and solutions to some of your industry’s biggest challenges.
Offered in a convenient, interactive and timely format, each eCongress is free to attend and highlights best practices, case studies and regulatory updates with the goal of facilitating proactive discussion and offering timely solutions around key industry issues.
We hope you have enjoyed this eCongress and have learned some new, innovative ways to optimize patient participation in clinical trials for all stakeholders involved – most notably the research volunteer.
If you would like to contribute ideas for future eCongress series, contact us directly or tweet us at #eCongress. And stay tuned for upcoming details on our next eCongress series at http://xtalks.com/eCongress.ashx including:
- Big Data for Big and Small Pharma: A Prescription for Success? and,
- Orphan Drugs & Rare Diseases: Advancing Drug Development and Patient Access
Tel: +1 (416) 977-6555 ext 284