Charleston, S.C. (PRWEB) July 23, 2014
Join the South Carolina Aquarium Sustainable Seafood Initiative and Middleton Place Restaurant for a six-course meal paired with perfectly selected wine and spirits, July 27, 2014 at 6 p.m. Executive Chef Brandon Buck is highlighting the summer’s freshest seafood catch and pairing each course with local ingredients, some sourced right from the Middleton Place farm.
- East Coast oyster shooter with freshly grated horseradish, preserved lemon, spicy house-made smoked tomato paired with Vodka Soda featuring Middleton Place organic farm basil, lemon, American Harvest Organic Vodka, orange juice and soda water
- Pickled shrimp salad with Split Creek Farms feta, plantation cowpeas, pickled red onions, greens, merlot vinaigrette paired with J Lohr Flume Crossing, Sauvignon Blanc, Arroyo Seco, Monterey, 2012
- Fried grouper “Cutter” sandwich with brioche buns, aioli, fried plantains paired with a Dark and Stormy featuring Mount Gay dark rum, Barritt’s ginger beer, lime
- Lobster with a sweet corn succotash, pecan smoked house-cured bacon, whipped Yukon potatoes, truffle corn puree paired with Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars ‘Karia’ Chardonnay, Napa Valley, 2012
- North Carolina catfish stew with blackened catfish, house-made Andouille sausage, Carolina Gold rice, leeks, corn, tomato paired with Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars ‘Artimis,’ Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 2011
- Banana pudding with house-made wafers, banana custard, fresh whipped cream paired with Tiamo Prosecco D.O.C., Italy
The natural and man-made beauty of the historic plantation will be on fully display, and guests are encouraged to arrive a little early to wander the plantation and its 272-year-old formal gardens along the Ashley River. The South Carolina Aquarium Sustainable Seafood Initiative program coordinator Shelley Dearhart will be present to share information with guests about sustainable seafood best practices and how to make wise choices when eating out and at home.
The six-course dinner begins at 6 p.m. and is $85 per person plus tax and gratuity. Ten percent of the proceeds will be donated to the South Carolina Aquarium Sustainable Seafood Initiative. Space is limited and reservations are required. For reservations contact Middleton Place Restaurant at (843) 556-6020 or visit middletonplace.org.
For all media inquiries, please contact Kate Dittloff at (843) 579-8660 or kdittloff(at)scaquarium(dot)org.
About the Sustainable Seafood Initiative:
Designed to promote the use of local and sustainable seafood in South Carolina’s restaurants, the Sustainable Seafood Initiative helps ensure that consumers have fish for the future by teaching our partner chefs about sustainable and local seafood, assessing their menus, and encouraging consumers to dine at our partner restaurants. The Sustainable Seafood Initiative is guided by an interdisciplinary and diverse Steering Committee ensuring that the program pragmatically balances the needs of the environment with the world population’s need for seafood. We believe that we can lessen the impact we have on the oceans by making wise seafood choices and encouraging improvement of fishing and fish-farming methods.
About Middleton Place:
Middleton Place is one of Charleston’s beautiful plantations featuring enormous gardens, house museum, stable yards, and restaurant. The Gardens, House Museum and Plantation Stableyards at Middleton Place are owned and operated by the Middleton Place Foundation, a 501 © (3) not-for-profit trust established in 1974, that also manages the Edmondston-Alston House Museum at 21 East Battery in downtown Charleston. The Foundation's mission is to sustain the highest levels of preservation and interpretation for the National Historic Landmark rich in classical and romantic garden design, horticulture and history. For additional information, call (843) 556-6020.
About the South Carolina Aquarium:
The South Carolina Aquarium, Charleston’s most-visited attraction, features thousands of amazing aquatic animals from river otters and sharks to loggerhead turtles in more than 50 exhibits representing the rich biodiversity of South Carolina from the mountains to the sea. Dedicated to promoting education and conservation, the Aquarium also presents fabulous views of Charleston harbor and interactive exhibits and programs for visitors of all ages.
The South Carolina Aquarium, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and is open Daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (last ticket sold at 5 p.m.). The Aquarium is closed Thanksgiving Day, half day Dec. 24 (open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.) and Dec. 25. Admission prices are: Toddler’s (0-3) free; Youth (4-12) $14.95; Adults (13+) $24.95. The Aquarium plus the 4-D Theater experience is free for Toddlers, $19.95 for Children, $29.95 for Adults. The 4-D Theater experience only is $6.95 for Children and Adults and Free for Members. Military, senior, college and group discounts are available. For more information call 843-720-1990 or visit scaquarium.org. Memberships are available by calling 843-577-FISH.