In the past 25 years the IAC has grown from a prestigious academy to one of the world's preeminent forums for top Cardiologists and Scientists. These Faculty are the best of the best. We are proud to honor them with these well-deserved awards.
Boston, MA (PRWEB) July 31, 2014
Dr. Asher Kimchi, Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology (IAC) today announced the winning recipients of the 2014 IAC Awards at the 19th World Congress on Heart Disease held in Boston, MA, USA. In addition to the IAC awards, the committee also named four faculty to receive the Distinguished Fellowship Award.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, together with Co-Chairmen Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer and Dr. John A. Elefteriades, headed a committee comprised of 225 of the world's leading cardiologists and scientists that reviewed a prestigious list of nominees and voted for their top choice.
The following awards for 2014 were presented at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2014, 19th World Congress on Heart Disease, to honor the memory of distinguished colleagues, all former members of the faculty of previous International Academy of Cardiology meetings who made major contributions to Medicine and Cardiology:
- The Walter Bleifeld Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Clinical Research to Paul A. Heidenreich, MD, MS, FACC, Professor of Medicine and Health Research and Policy at Stanford University School of Medicine.
- The Albrecht Fleckenstein Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Basic Research to Kenneth Maiese, MD, Professor and Past-Chair of the Departments of Neurology and Neurosciences, University of Medicine and Medicine of New Jersey.
- The Jan J. Kellermann Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention to Howard D. Sesso, ScD, MPH, Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Preventive Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
- The Hans-Peter Krayenbuehl Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Research in Cardiac Function to Patricia A. Pellikka, MD, Professor of Medicine at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine.
- The Melvin L. Marcus Memorial Award for distinguished contribution as a Gifted Teacher to James D. Marsh, MD, Nolan Professor and Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
The 2014 Distinguished Fellowship Awards were presented to four Faculty of the 19th World Congress on Heart Disease:
- Yzhar Charuzi, MD, FACC, Clinical Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, Attending Cardiologist at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute
- Jawahar L. Mehta, MD, PhD, Professor of Medicine and Physiology and Biophysics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- George W. Vetrovec, MD, Professor of Medicine, Chairman of Cardiology, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Nathan D. Wong, PhD, FACC, Professor and Director, University of California, Irvine Heart Disease Prevention Program
The Opening Ceremony and Awards Presentations were chaired by Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, Professor of Medicine; Chief, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, SUNY, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn NY; Chairman, IAC Scientific Executive Committee and Dr. John A. Elefteriades, William W.L. Glenn Professor of Surgery, Director, Yale Center of Thoracic Aortic Disease at Yale University and Yale New-Haven Hospital; Member, IAC Scientific Executive Committee.
The following members of the Scientific Executive Committee of the IAC also took part in the Awards Ceremony:
- Prof. Naranjan S. Dhalla, Distinguished Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Dr. Dr. Laurence Sperling, Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) at the Emory University School of Medicine, President of the American Society for Preventive Cardiology
Other members of dais included:
- Dr. John B. Gordon, President of the California Chapter of the American College of Cardiology
- Dr. Kenneth Rosenfield, President of the Massachusetts Chapter of the American College of Cardiology
The Eighth H.J.C. Swan Memorial Lecture at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2014, 19th World Congress on Heart Disease, was delivered by Nanette K. Wenger, M.D., Professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA on the topic of “Gender Disparity in Coronary Heart Disease: Bias, Biology, or Both?”
Dr. Kimchi comments, “The International Academy of Cardiology is dedicated to the advancement of global research in cardiovascular medicine through the support of scientific meetings and publications.”
In his opening remarks, Dr. Kimchi commented, “Over the past 25 years, the World Congress on Heart Disease has been an outstanding meeting for aspiring young researchers to present their research and interact with senior investigators in a relaxed and convivial atmosphere.”
Dr. Kimchi added, “The faculty of the Congress has repeatedly attested to the high quality of the research presented in these scientific sessions and the excellent interchange of ideas that transpires at each meeting.”
The World Congress on Heart Disease, the annual scientific session of the International Academy of Cardiology, provides the opportunity for a comprehensive overview of current concepts and future directions in cardiovascular medicine.
“We are delighted by the interest which has been shown in this year’s Congress from clinicians and investigators from 53 countries around the globe. The 512 oral and poster presentations for this congress were carefully selected by the Scientific Abstract Review Committee from over 800 submitted abstracts,” said Dr. Kimchi.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, the Founder and Chairman of the World Congress on Heart Disease, is an internationally renowned pioneering cardiologist, a former flight surgeon in the Israeli Air Force, and the Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology. Dr. Kimchi is the Clinical Chief of the Division of Cardiology and the Medical Director of the Preventive and Consultative Heart Center of Excellence at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles, CA, USA. Dr. Kimchi holds the academic title of Clinical Professor of Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a Past-President of the American Heart Association, Los Angeles County Division.
Dr. Kimchi has been involved in medical education for many years. During the past 25 years Dr. Kimchi has served as organizer and chairman of 21 large international congresses on Heart Failure and Heart Disease. He is editor of eleven cardiology books, his scientific articles on the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure have appeared in many prestigious peer review journals, and he has served on the editorial boards of several leading journals. In 2010 he was elected as a Fellow of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences.
The International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2015, 20th World Congress on Heart Disease, will be held in Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 24-27, 2015.
For more information on the scientific program, abstract submission, registration, accommodation and exhibition, please contact:
International Academy of Cardiology:
PO Box 17659
Beverly Hills, CA 90209, USA
tel (310) 657 8777
fax (310) 659 4781