Seattle, WA (PRWEB) August 26, 2014
In honor of summer travel, Whitepages, the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S., today reveals the most popular names in the country that are shared with travel destinations. While there are plenty of places named after people, like Lincoln, Nebraska, and Washington, D.C., Whitepages data found that Virginia tops the list with 577,805 people sharing the name – most of them living in West Virginia.
Florence (Italy, and cities in AL, OR, and SC) and Victoria (TX, Canada) tied for second place with 404,327 people sharing the name, most common in Hawaii and New Mexico, respectively. Brittany (as in France, 350,775 people) and Charlotte (as in NC, VT, 254,489 people), round out the top five.
“There are lots of people named after exciting travel destinations like Paris, Asia, and India, which makes you wonder if their parents are world travelers, or better yet, if these people were conceived in these destinations,” says Liz Powell, culture and trend expert from Whitepages. “However, we loved seeing national pride reflected in the amount of people named America here in the United States (2,852 people).”
The Whitepages list breaks down the states where the people with these most common names are living. Interestingly enough, California (121 people) and Bronx (21 people), are most common in their respective states.
Don't worry about packing a bag or filling up the gas tank – take a tour of the most popular names shared with travel destinations below:
Popular Names Shared with Travel Destinations
1. Virginia: 577,805; W. Virginia has the most
2. Florence (Italy, Alabama, Oregon & South Carolina): 404,327; Hawaii has the most
3. Victoria (TX, Canada): 404,327; New Mexico has the most
4. Brittany (France): 350,775; Kentucky has the most
5. Charlotte (North Carolina, Vermont): 254,489 girls; W. Virginia has the most
6. Chelsea (London, New York City): 133,470; Utah has the most
7. Georgia: 113,695; Mississippi has the most
8. Carolina (North & South): 57,164; California has the most
9. Madison (WI, NJ): 28,882; Utah has the most
10. Sydney: 43,133; Utah has the most
11. Savannah (Georgia): 28,082; Kentucky has the most
12. Madeleine (Islands, Quebec, Canada): 17,551; New Hampshire has the most
13. Asia: 15,088; Washington, DC has the most
14. Paris: 14,931; Washington, DC has the most
15. India: 14,816; Washington, DC has the most
16. Adelaide (Australia): 8,362 girls; Rhode Island has the most
17. Brooklyn (New York): 4,008; Arkansas has the most
18. France: 3,997; Vermont has the most
19. China: 3,898 girls; Washington, DC has the most
20. London: 3,365; California has the most
21. America: 2,852; California has the most
22. Africa: 1,326 girls; Washington, DC has the most
23. Arizona: 695; Kentucky has the most
24. California: 121; all in California
25. Bronx (New York): 21; NY has the most
To learn more about name popularity in the United States, please visit: http://www.whitepages.com/.
Whitepages is the leading source for contact information in North America and is at the forefront of developing services that help people find, understand and verify personal and business identities in an ever-changing digital world. Whitepages is committed to empowering users with control, safeguarding the accuracy and authenticity of digital identities, and advancing transparency. With over 50 million unique monthly users, Whitepages offers access to more than 200 million personal identities and provides users with the ability to control their own. Whitepages also operates Whitepages PRO, an API and web-based service, which helps businesses verify the identities of their customers. To learn more, visit http://www.whitepages.com.