Valparaiso, Ind. (PRWEB) September 09, 2014
For the 26th straight year, Valparaiso University has been identified as one of the best universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report magazine. In the 2015 edition, released today, Valpo is the No. 5 Best Regional University, among more than 140 universities in the category, and is ranked No. 2 in the Midwest for Best Undergraduate Teaching.
“We are honored to once again be recognized by U.S. News & World Report for the exceptional education at Valparaiso University,” said Mark A. Heckler, Ph.D., University president. “This achievement reflects the steadfast focus on exceptional quality as we continue to develop cutting-edge academic programs, expand campus infrastructure, and enroll outstanding students who will carry on the Valpo legacy.”
Notable U.S. News rankings:
- Valpo is No. 5 in the ranking of Best Regional Universities in the Midwest, which evaluates academic reputation, retention, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate and alumni support.
- Valpo ranked second among regional universities in the Midwest for both best value and best undergraduate teaching.
- Valpo is tied for first in the Midwest for Up-and-Coming Regional Universities. These rankings recognize institutions that have recently made the most promising and innovative changes in the areas of academics, faculty, student life, campus or facilities.
- Valpo was once again placed on the list of A+ Schools for B Students, which measures institutions that provide opportunities for students of different academic achievement levels to thrive.
- Valpo’s College of Engineering is listed as one of the top 30 undergraduate engineering programs in the country.
Valpo has increased enrollment of undergraduate students for the past six years. And with 4,520 undergraduate, graduate and law students, Valpo’s total enrollment is now at the highest level in 34 years. Total graduate enrollment, at 777 students, is the largest since the Graduate School’s inception in 1963.
As Valpo prepares students to enter an increasingly globalized workforce, it has increased the diversity of its student body. International student enrollment is at 613 students, the highest level in the University’s history. The total percentage of undergraduate American minorities is also at its highest level at 17.3 percent.
In addition to enrollment growth, campus infrastructure and academic programs continue to expand. In the past two years, Valpo constructed a new residence hall, classroom building and the Duesenberg Welcome Center. The College of Business added a bachelor’s degree in business analytics, and the College of Nursing and Health Professions expanded to include additional health science degree options including public health and a five-year B.S./M.S. physician assistant studies program. This summer, Valpo welcomed a new provost, Mark L. Biermann, as well as new deans for the Graduate School and the Law School.
Valpo consistently earns recognition from national and regional rankings and was recently named one of the top 100 colleges in the Midwest by Forbes Magazine and the No. 3 master’s university in the nation for contribution to public good by Washington Monthly.
Contact Nicole Niemi, director of media relations, at nicole(dot)niemi(at)valpo(dot)edu or 219.464.6010 for more information about Valparaiso University.
About Valparaiso University
Valparaiso University is a comprehensive independent Lutheran university with more than 4,500 students on its campus located in Northwest Indiana, an hour from Chicago. Valpo is a community of purpose-driven, service-minded and ethical individuals who embrace the pursuit of truth with freedom, humility and compassion. Valpo has been identified as one of the top master’s-level institutions in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report magazine for the past 26 years. Valparaiso University offers more than 110 undergraduate academic programs through the colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business, Engineering and Nursing and Health Professions. Valpo also has a distinguished honors college, a Law School, and more than 40 degree and certificate programs in its Graduate School and Continuing Studies. Valpo has been recognized for its commitment to outstanding teaching, preparing thoughtful leaders with strong cross-cultural skills and global awareness and dedication to serving others.