Cost Guide helps homeowners research the average price of a project in their city and determine if hiring a professional is out of their budget.
Golden, Colo. (PRWEB) September 17, 2014
Recent project cost data* shows that Tampa, Fla.; Denver, Colo.; Philadelphia, Pa.; and Minneapolis, Minn.; are the most expensive cities to winterize a home in. Fall maintenance can help prevent household disasters including pipes freezing, flooding, and damage to the foundation. HomeAdvisor's personal finance expert Leah Ingram recommends that homeowners use a resource such as Cost Guide when deciding whether to DIY or hire a professional for fall tasks.
“Cost Guide helps homeowners research the average price of a project in their city and determine if hiring a professional is out of their budget,” said Ingram. “The average price nationally of cleaning the gutters and downspouts is $189, but homeowners in Denver can expect to pay the most, $1,091 on average, and Portland homeowners can expect to pay the least, $90 on average.”
HomeAdvisor recommends five projects homeowners should complete for fall maintenance:
- Install weather-stripping: Installing weather stripping can save homeowners money on heating costs that result from leaks in the doors and windows.
- Clean gutters and downspouts: Removing any debris such as twigs and leaves that can clog the gutters and downspouts can prevent water from melted snow from overflowing, which can cause water damage to the home.
- Remove leaves: Removing the leaves before the first snow helps prevent fungus from building up as well as the leaves smothering and killing the grass.
- Service a furnace: Servicing the furnace before the temperatures drop can help the furnace run more efficiently and can prevent major repairs or replacement.
- Clean ducts and vents: Cleaning the ducts and vents annually helps prevent the buildup of dust, debris, and other particles such as mold.
“According to Cost Guide the average price nationally of winterizing a home with these five projects is $1,378,” said Ingram. “Minneapolis homeowners can expect to pay the most and Atlanta homeowners can expect to pay the least with these fall tasks costing $5,908 and $976 on average, respectively.”
HomeAdvisor is a leading website and mobile app provider offering resources for home repair and improvement projects. HomeAdvisor’s patented ProFinder technology matches homeowner projects to the nation’s largest network of over 80,000 pre-screened, customer-reviewed home improvement professionals. Homeowners can make informed home project decisions using resources including: Pro Reviews, featuring reviews from homeowners who have actually been connected with the service professionals they review; Cost Guide, providing average costs for projects coast-to-coast; DesignMine, providing inspiration and collaboration for remodeling projects; as well as robust home tips and project planning tools. Access to all of the site’s features is free for homeowners, with no membership or fees required. HomeAdvisor is based in Golden, Colo.
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
*Based on project cost data submitted by homeowners for installing weather-stripping, cleaning the gutters, removing leaves, servicing a furnace and cleaning the ducts and vents on HomeAdvisor.com from January 1, 2014 to August 4, 2014. Additional information is provided by HomeAdvisor’s Cost Guide.