Lincoln, RI (PRWEB) September 22, 2014
Severe weather can occur with little warning, so it’s important to be ready ahead of time. That’s why, as part of National Preparedness Month, Amica Insurance is offering the following tips to help you and your family prepare for the unexpected:
- Build an emergency supply kit. It should contain first-aid supplies, as well as nonperishable food and one gallon of water per person per day for at least 72 hours.
- Create an evacuation plan that includes pets so your family knows what to do and where to go if severe weather is on the way. Be prepared to evacuate if told to do so, and make sure family and friends know how to reach you after a storm.
- Protect your home as much as possible. Performing routine maintenance – like removing dead trees and branches and clearing gutters and downspouts – can help.
- Create an inventory of your belongings, in case you need to file a claim after a storm. Take photos or a video, or use the home inventory feature on Amica’s mobile app.
- If a storm is in the forecast, bring lawn furniture, ornaments and toys inside. Secure grills, roofs, windows, doors, garage doors and other areas that are susceptible to wind damage.
- Make sure you have flashlights and fresh batteries, and charge cellphones and other electronic devices.
- Get extra cash, as ATMs may not work if the power goes out.
Additionally, it’s important to review insurance policies to make sure you’re covered for storm-related damages before inclement weather is in the forecast.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, Rhode Island, is a national writer of auto, home, marine and umbrella insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,300 people in 43 offices across the country. For more information, visit Amica.com.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.