Smaller-scale home improvements can still provide a return while working with a more moderate budget.
Golden, Colo. (PRWEB) October 02, 2014
Recent home improvement data* from HomeAdvisor reveals the top kitchen and bath trends for 2014 including what projects homeowners are incorporating into their kitchen and bath renovations. According to the data, the No. 1 bathroom renovation is installing a new shower and the top kitchen renovation is updating the countertops. Updated countertops may include features such as backsplashes, sink cut-outs, custom colors, and high-gloss finishes.
The most popular kitchen improvement projects in descending order are:
- Updating kitchen countertops: According to the home improvement data, granite and quartz are the most common countertop materials used.
- Updating kitchen cabinets: Refacing or repainting the cabinets can help give the kitchen a brand new look without having to change the layout or design of the room.
- Updating kitchen sinks: The size and shape of the sink can be customized, and homeowners can choose from several materials including concrete, stone, and copper.
- Updating kitchen appliances: New kitchen appliances can give the room a fresh look as well as be more energy efficient.
- Updating kitchen lighting: Adding additional lighting can provide more focused levels of light to specific work areas including drawers, cabinets or pantries.
“Smaller-scale home improvements can still provide a return while working with a more moderate budget,” said personal finance expert Leah Ingram. “The price of a kitchen remodel can be difficult to recoup since the average cost is $22,233 according to HomeAdvisor’s Cost Guide. A minor kitchen improvement such as updating the countertops costs less, averaging $3,459, and can provide a higher ROI.”
The most popular bathroom renovations in descending order are:
- Installing a new shower: New showers can be equipped with features including temperature controls, personalized lights, music and adjustable showerhead settings.
- Installing a new bathtub: Updated bathtub options include in-line heaters, adjustable speeds, foot massage jets, foot rests, and music.
- Updating bathroom faucets: A new faucet can provide additional features including a filtration system, waterfall design and updated materials such as metal, brass, or plated nickel.
- Updating bathroom flooring: New flooring can be added in a variety of materials including glass, wood, tile, or bamboo.
“The average cost nationally of remodeling a bathroom is $10,274 according to HomeAdvisor’s Cost Guide,” Ingram continued. “A smaller-scale option that will still provide a high ROI is to install a new shower, which costs $4,381 on average.”
To view HomeAdvisor’s complete list of kitchen and bathroom trends download the Top 2014 Kitchen & Bath Trends Infographic.
HomeAdvisor is a leading website and mobile app provider offering resources for home repair and improvement projects. HomeAdvisor’s patented ProFinder technology matches homeowner projects to the nation’s largest network of over 80,000 pre-screened, customer-reviewed home improvement professionals. Homeowners can make informed home project decisions using resources including: Pro Reviews, featuring reviews from homeowners who have actually been connected with the service professionals they review; Cost Guide, providing average costs for projects coast-to-coast; DesignMine, providing inspiration and collaboration for remodeling projects; as well as robust home tips and project planning tools. Access to all of the site’s features is free for homeowners, with no membership or fees required. HomeAdvisor is based in Golden, Colo.
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
*This data is collected from homeowner service requests submitted on HomeAdvisor.com for kitchen and bath projects between January 1, 2014 and July 20, 2014. Additional cost information is from Cost Guide, which provides the average project costs locally and nationally based on data reported by homeowners through HomeAdvisor.