Charleston, SC (PRWEB) October 07, 2014
The hostilities of World War I ended with the 1918 armistice between the Allied nations and Germany, going into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. In remembrance of the sacrifices and acts of courage that many men and women made during World War I, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11, 1919 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day, stating:
“To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…"
In 1954, November 11 was officially changed to Veterans Day, to honor all veterans – wherever and whenever they served. Soldiers marched in hometown parades, politicians and veteran officers gave speeches, and ceremonies were held in celebration of peace, thereby cementing “Veterans Day” in the annals of U.S. tradition.
VetFriends.com – the largest online service for reuniting veterans - continues its own tradition, the 14th annual "Honor & Thanks” Veterans Day campaign, in support of U.S. veterans, active and reserve military personnel of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.
The VetFriends.com 14th Annual Honor and Thanks Veterans Day Tribute will include:
- Nationwide Veterans Day Parade/Event Directory: Visitors are invited to submit and register community parades and events celebrating Veterans Day. All listings will be posted on VetFriends.com for their 500,000+ monthly site visitors to view. Submissions for community events can be entered here: http://www.vetfriends.com/parades.
- Veterans Day Forum: Veterans and any other person interested in contributing their thoughts and insights in regard to Veterans Day, or those wishing to express their thanks to veterans, may submit their comments to the forum located at http://www.vetfriends.com/veteransday. The entirety of the collection, including all comments, posts, newsletters, video tributes, etc. will be made available to the media for distribution.
- VetFriends.com Photo Tribute: The historic military photo collection - located at http://www.vetfriends.com/militarypics - is made up of thousands of pictures in honor of U.S. military personnel. Visitors can search for images by military branch, military base, year, war, state or country. Each picture contains background information along with a brief message and/or description. Honor a loved one who served and post their photo in the VetFriends collection for all to view, where their dedication and service can never be forgotten.
- VetFriends.com Premium Membership Card: Currently available to all premium members of VetFriends.com, the card displays the name, branch, years of service and rank of veteran members. In addition, VetFriends has collaborated with retailers nationwide to connect its cardholders with a network of companies offering special discounts to veterans and military personnel. Information on the VetFriends Veteran I.D. card and the retailers who honor this card with exclusive veteran savings can be found at: http://www.vetfriends.com/veteran-id-card/.
- Special Veterans Day Discounts: VetFriends.com is also home to an online military pride catalog with over 8,000 items representing all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. VetFriends will be taking up to 50% off ALL merchandise to show their support and appreciation of our esteemed military service men and women. Site visitors are invited to utilize coupon code: vb for an additional 15% off all U.S. military caps, shirts, collectibles, patches, stickers and more. Browse the catalog at http://www.vetfriends.com/catalog.
- Ongoing additional services: In addition to these Veterans Day features, VetFriends.com exists to reunite U.S. Military veterans, and can be utilized on a regular basis to search over 1,700,000 members to make contact with old service friends and relatives. The web site also provides information on how to obtain your own or a relative's military records and medals; in addition to providing services such as message boards; military veteran job boards; and the ability to search and post reunions, past and present photos; military jokes, cadences, lingo, and much more.
With the approach of Veterans Day, VetFriends.com invites the national community to celebrate, support, and show their gratitude to U.S. veterans and active military personnel.
All media related inquiries, including interviews with the VetFriends.com founder, veteran reuniting stories, questions regarding military photo collections, and requests for general information, should be directed to 843-352-4926 or via the provided e-mail.
Founded in 2000 by a U.S. veteran, thousands of people have been reconnected through VetFriends.com, spanning from World War II, Operation Desert Storm, and the present. VetFriends.com has a current member count of over 1,700,000 people with 500,000 monthly site visitors. Please visit http://www.vetfriends.com for more information