(PRWEB UK) 6 October 2014
Paragon Software Group, a software developer of the world’s most trusted dictionaries and reference applications for mobiles, tablets and PCs, releases twelve Merriam-Webster’s reference classics with full support for iOS 8. Users can instantly look up unknown words in any grammatical form on any web page within the Safari browser, without leaving the site. This has been achieved by using the new extensions feature of iOS 8, which is one of the biggest improvements in Apple’s latest mobile platform; for the first time it allows apps to talk to each other.
With a Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, all the user has to do while reading is highlight a word, click the “share” button, and watch as the searched word is immediately displayed on a pop-up screen. Reading and looking up words without leaving the site is the handiest advancement in iOS 8, saving time and making the learning process easier than ever.
Merriam-Webster’s dictionaries are the perfect portable resource for teachers, students, writers, and word lovers everywhere. Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition contains over 225,000 definitions and is the most popular app for students and their teachers.
For almost 150 years, Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged has been America's largest, the most comprehensive dictionary. The legendary dictionary contains 476,000 words defined, 700,000 definitions, 100,000 quotations, 143,000 etymologies, 3,100 pictorial illustrations, 107,000 spoken examples and 1,100 synonym paragraphs – and is one of the world’s finest English reference works.
The following twelve Merriam-Webster’s dictionaries are available with full iOS 8 support:
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition
- Merriam-Webster's Pocket Dictionary
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged
- Merriam-Webster's English-French and French-English Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster's English-Spanish and Spanish-English Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary (* without a sound module)
- Merriam-Webster's Advanced Learner's English Dictionary
- The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- The Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate® Thesaurus
- Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary of Law
- Merriam-Webster’s Essential Learner’s English Dictionary
- Download one of available sound modules to enjoy wider language study capabilities.
Search and input features:
- New! App extensions supported: quickly look-up words while reading in other apps (e.g. in Safari).
- The new full text search feature allows you to look up words more efficiently.
- Enter a query into the input field and dictionary will automatically build a list of entries containing your query, increasing the probability of finding the right definition.
- Find precise word definitions containing a number of usage examples.
- Because full text search supports the Morphology module and ‘Did you mean…?’ function, users can be sure that virtually all search queries can be found regardless of misspelling or incorrect word form.
- Easy copy-and-paste functions copy words to the clipboard to get definition.
- Contextual menu (Browsing, Morphology Module).
- English audio pronunciations recorded by native speakers (Settings -> Sound modules).
- Improved browsing capabilities through word list and Search History.
- List of similar words in case of misspelling.
- Wildcard Search if you are unsure of the exact word spelling. Use “?” and “*” symbols to replace the missing letters.
- Full linguistic information – with declension and conjugation tables – is included, making the dictionary a must-have for any language scholar of English.
- Search for anagrams.
New! Native iOS 8 support.
- Enhanced customization options allow you to modify animated menus and choose background colors.
- Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort.
- Favorites - to quickly access frequently searched words.
- Hyperlinks between articles and directions.
- Landscape-mode support.
- Fully iPad optimized interface.
- No Internet connection required: simply download the dictionary once and use it on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch without any additional expense.
Merriam Webster has joined the Open Dictionary API Alliance, a unique resource providing access to premium dictionary content for all members of the Alliance. Join us at http://dictionary-api.org and enjoy the opportunity to enrich your apps with a high quality and trusted source of reference from the world’s leading publishers.
Compatibility: iOS 7.0 or later.
Availability: The applications are available at the Apple iTunes site at https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/search?submit=edit&term=webster%20paragon#software
Prices for dictionaries range from 19.99 to 59.99 USD.
About Merriam-Webster Inc.
Merriam-Webster Inc. acquired the rights to revise and publish Noah Webster’s dictionaries in 1843. Since then, Merriam-Webster has maintained an ongoing commitment to innovation, scholarship, and love of language. Today, the company continues as the leader in language reference publishing with bestselling reference books (Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition), popular Web sites (Merriam-Webster.com, WordCentral.com), and a range of licensed products. For more information, visit http://www.Merriam-Webster.com.
Media Contact Paragon Software HQ Paragon Software Americas HQ
Katia Shabanova Heinrich-von-Stephan-Str. 5c 15615 Alton Parkway, S. 400
Paragon Software Group 79100 Freiburg/Germany Irvine, CA 92618
E: Katia Shabanova pr(at)paragon-software(dot)com E: pr(at)paragon-software(dot)com
P: +49 761 59018 181 P: + 49 761 59018 202 P: +1 888 347 5462