“The GABF brings together talented brewers in the entire country. So for San Diego to take home this many medals truly reaffirms San Diego’s reputation at the craft beer capital of America,” says San Diego Brewers Guild Pre
San Diego, CA (PRWEB) October 09, 2014
The San Diego Brewers Guild (SDBG) is proud to announce that San Diego breweries took home 14 medals at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) in Denver, Colorado on Saturday, October 4.
Out of 84 beer-style categories, San Diego breweries won 5 gold medals, 3 silver medals and 6 bronze medals. In total, 1,309 breweries entered 5,507 beers from 50 states and there were 222 judges from 10 countries that judged the competition.
California was the top medal winner with 46 out of 268 medals awarded, followed by Colorado with 39 medals. San Diego excelled as a county and secured 14 of those California medals.
“The Great American Beer Festival brings together the most talented brewers in the entire country. So for San Diego to take home this many medals truly reaffirms San Diego’s reputation at the craft beer capital of America,” says San Diego Brewers Guild President Brian Scott.
In addition, Alpha King Challenge, an annual hop-laden brew competition held during the GABF, awarded Belching Beaver Brewery’s Thomas Peters and his "Pound Town” (10.3% Double IPA, not yet released) as the winner. Since the conception of the Alpha King Challenge 14 years ago, San Diego breweries have brought home this award 5 times.
The San Diego County winners and their categories are listed below.
List of San Diego Winners
List includes category & total submissions in each category
- AleSmith Old Numbskull by AleSmith Brewing Co. – Gold (Barley Wine-Style Ale, 51 entries)
- Grunion by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits – Scripps Ranch – Gold (American-Style Pale Ale, 145 entries)
- Oatmeal Stout by Benchmark Brewing Co. – Gold (Session Beer, 94 entries)
- White Ale by Saint Archer Brewing Co. – Gold (Belgian-Style Witbier, 65 entries)
- Witty Moron by Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station – Gold (Other Belgian-Style Ale, 26 entries)
- Guillaume by Pizza Port Ocean Beach – Silver (Session Beer, 94 Entries)
- Hop 15 by Port Brewing Co. – Silver (Imperial India Pale Ale, 135 Entries)
- Piper Down by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits - Scripps Ranch – Silver (Irish-Style Red Ale, 60 Entries)
- Asphalt Jungle, Bagby Beer Co. – Bronze (Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout, 26 Entries_
- La Flama Dorada by Pizza Port Ocean Beach – Bronze (Belgian-Style Tripel, 58 Entries)
- Le Freak by Green Flash Brewing Co. – Bronze (American-Belgo-Style Ale, 69 Entries)
- Mosaic Session Ale by Karl Strauss Brewing Co. – Bronze (Session Beer, 94 Entries)
- Shark Attack by Port Brewing Co. – Bronze (Imperial Red Ale, 62 Entries)
- The Pupil by Societe Brewing Co. – Bronze (International-Style Pale Ale, 88 Entries)
*Out of the 14 San Diego medals, Pizza Port Ocean Beach, Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits and Port Brewing Co. took home the most medals.
About San Diego Brewers Guild
Founded in 1997, the San Diego Brewers Guild (SDBG) is a nonprofit collective of San Diego's finest breweries, brewpubs, restaurants and businesses. SDBG works toward reaffirming the county’s cultural niche as America’s best craft beer destination.
With its mission to promote awareness and increase the visibility of fresh, locally brewed beer through education and participation in community events, the SDBG puts together successful, annual events all around San Diego County such as Rhythm & Brews, San Diego Beer Week, San Diego Beer Week Summit and San Diego Brewers Guild Golf Tournament.
About the Great American Beer Festival
The Great American Beer Festival is the premier U.S. beer festival and competition. Each year, GABF represents the largest collection of U.S. beer vendors in a public tasting event, plus a private competition. GABF brings together the brewers and diverse beers that make the U.S. the world’s greatest brewing nation. GABF was founded in 1982, and has been growing and evolving along with the American craft brewing industry ever since.