WACO, Texas (PRWEB) October 09, 2014
Mold thrives in cool, dark moist places like crawl spaces or basements where there is a strong likelihood of leaky plumbing, humid air conditions, and poor drainage. The experts at Rainbow International say the formation of mold in these places can lead to the spread of mold that not only affects home air quality but also could lead to structural damage in the home. Taking preventive steps to prevent mold in crawl spaces and basements is vital for protecting a home and the family’s health.
How can homeowners know if their home’s crawl space or basement has mold? Rainbow International recommends paying attention to the following signs:
- A musty odor permeating from the home, especially when the windows and doors are closed
- Recent plumbing issues where pipes have broken or had other leakage problems
- Family members suffering from chronic headaches, heightened allergies, or asthma symptoms
- Floorboards or walls buckling or warping
To reduce the risk of mold in crawl spaces or a basement, consider these suggestions:
- At the first sign of a water leak, contact a plumber to have it repaired properly. Make sure that all furniture, rugs, and other items are dried properly if they have water damage.
- Correct indoor drainage issues. Make sure the washing machines or sinks in the basement drain properly. Make sure drains are not clogged so the water is flowing out the drain.
- Install outdoor drainage that directs water away from the home. Perform regular maintenance on drains to prevent leaks from causing puddles near the home’s foundation.
- Monitor the amount of humidity in the home, especially the basement. Make sure the heating and cooling system in the home is properly insulated.
- Install weather stripping around windows and doors, and repair or seal cracks and gaps in the crawl space and basement floor or wall.
To learn more about crawl space or basement mold prevention in the home, contact your local Rainbow International specialists. The specialists can inspect and remove the mold to prevent future issues.