Nelson, New Zealand (PRWEB) October 22, 2014
The annual Ōra King Awards (The Ōra’s) recognises outstanding contributions from chefs working with Ōra King, New Zealand King Salmon’s premium foodservice brand produced exclusively for fine dining restaurants in New Zealand and and around the world. The awards will be announced during a lunch presented in the Mahana House art gallery located at the stunning Woollaston at Mahana in Upper Moutere, Nelson on Tuesday, October 21, 2014. Guests, including a host of New Zealand’s leading professional chefs, will be treated to a lunch prepared by an impressive line-up of Ōra King chefs, and paired with award-winning, five-star rated, Woollaston and Mahana wines. The chefs for the lunch include: Ray England from Los Angeles restaurant Craft, Kiwi Matt Lambert from Michelin-starred The Musket Room in New York, Auckland-based chefs Makoto Tokuyama from Cocoro and The Food Store’s Mark Southon, and, as sous chef - Ōra King Chef’s Bursary winner Carlita Campbell, from Cobar Restaurant in Wellington.
There are both New Zealand and international citations for both the Best Ōra King Ambassador and the Best Ōra King Dish.
The five finalists for Best Ōra King Dish in New Zealand are:
- Ben Batterbury: True South Dining Room, The Rees Hotel – Queenstown for sous vide Ōra King salmon, swede and kumara pickled ginger purée, roast maple seed quinoa, apple lime fluid gel, pickled radish, smoked fishcake, enoki mushrooms.
- Chetan Pangam: One80 – Copthorne Hotel - Wellington for Ōra King salmon gravalax, blow torched miso belly, compressed cucumber, edible sand, beetroot fluid gel, dill mustard crème fraiche and crispy salmon skin.
- Simon Green: Halo Restaurant at Trinity Wharf – Tauranga for Cured Ōra King salmon with white bean purée, pistachio and almond granola and wasabi and seafood foam.
- Stephen Barry: Mount Bistro – Mount Maunganui for steamed cutlet of Ōra King salmon encased in smoked salmon mousse with honey, balsamic and blackcurrant jus, radical kumara, baby fennel, lime and fennel custard and potato crisp.
- Samuel Goslin: The Lost Springs – Whitianga for “Kaimoana Ora Kaimoana Aroha” – (Live seafood, Love seafood) comprising horopito, seasoned seared Ōra King salmon served with crunchy piko piko, kina velouté and watakirihi pesto.
The four finalists for Best New Zealand Ōra King Ambassador are:
- Glen Taylor, Taylors on Jackson (Wellington).
- Nick Honeyman, Lava at the Sofitel, (Auckland).
- Kevin Hopgood / Aaron Ballantyne, Hopgoods (Nelson).
- Makoto Tokuyama, Cocoro (Auckland).
Ōra King International Ambassadors:
The International finalists are:
- John Lawson, No. 8 by John Lawson (Melbourne).
- Daniel Wilson, Huxtable, (Melbourne), NZ-born.
- Jason Alford, Roka Akor, (Chicago).
- Matt Lambert, The Musket Room (New York), NZ-born.
- Dieter Koschina, Vila Joya (Portugal).
Best International Ōra King dish:
- Michael Jenkins: Outrigger Resort, Noosa Heads for Ōra King salmon tartare, citrus chilli mayonnaise, pickled cucumber, wakame, sesame, watermelon radish.
- Rod Shokuhi: Beasley’s Tea House, Melbourne for EVOO poached Ōra King, candied olive crust, chlorophyll gel, duck fat potato purée, kombu foam, young leaves.
- Daniel Schimkovich: Restaurant Freundstuck, Germany for flamed Ōra King with miso, black garlic and rice vinaigrette.
- Vincent Pouessel: Aureole in Las Vegas for Seared Ōra King salmon, pea purée, morel mushrooms.
- Ray England: Craft Restaurant in Los Angeles for Ōra King salmon with coal-charred kiwi fruit and green strawberries.
“We are proud to be the hosts of this event, as we share the same beliefs of hand craftsmanship and respect for the origin of the product, said Shane Munn, Woollaston at Mahana winemaker. “Our elegant, bright, and expressive wines along with natural winemaking techniques pair beautifully with the rich, oily texture of the Ōra King Salmon.”
About Woollaston at Mahana
Woollaston at Mahana is a family owned, award-winning vineyard and winery located at Mahana in the Nelson/Tasman region of the South Island of New Zealand with a second vineyard at Burke’s Bank just 20 minutes away. The vineyards and gravity-fed winery were certified organic in 2011. Producing Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Pinot Noir Rose, Chardonnay and Sparkling Wines, under the Mahana, Woollaston, and Tussock labels, the philosophy is to make wine naturally with biodynamic techniques. The wines are complemented with fresh, seasonal, and locally sourced cuisine at the Mahana Cellar Door. Located inside the Mahana Cellar Door, the Mahana Art Gallery features collectible art with multiple exhibitions throughout the year. Sitting at the apex of the 25-hectare Mahana Vineyard, is the Mahana House providing luxury accommodation, amenities and service alongside the most extensive private art collection on the South Island – also providing an unrivaled backdrop for weddings at the vineyard. Open daily 11:00 am to 4:30 pm. Check website for occasional closures due to weddings and events. For more information visit: http://www.woollaston.co.nz
About Ōra King
Ōra King salmon is a best-of-breed king salmon developed specifically for the food service industry. Ōra King is a result of a commitment to quality founded on a classic breeding programme born in the top of New Zealand’s South Island two decades ago. All of the company’s husbandry and breeding, everything which Ōra King represents, is dedicated to the professional chef. It is the best of the best. Ōra King is to salmon as Wagyu is to beef.
NZ mobile +64 27 540 3689
USA mobile: + 1 949-870-5177