iAbrasive.com advocates 'Green Development' in the abrasives industry.
Zhengzhou, China (PRWEB) October 23, 2014
On Oct. 19, 2014, phase one of the 116th Canton Fair saw its end. The spectacular event indicates that China's foreign export remains promising. Meanwhile, influenced by global sluggish economy and declining demand, two major export categories in China - electromechanical and mineral metal products mingled hope and fear, which has left the uncertainty of international markets more conspicuous than ever. According to iAbrasive, the situation of the abrasives industry in the exhibition was not going well.
It is worth mentioning that the 116th Canton Fair came up with the theme--"Green Development", which has caught attention of most exhibitors. With the spread of "Green Development" concept within the exhibition industry, more and more exhibition sponsors and companies have come to realize the importance of "Green Development". The Canton Fair followed the trend and launched the "Green Development" plan that is based on the principle "Energy Saving and Cyclic Utilization". As a result, many environmental-friendly materials have been employed in the exhibition. For example, the universally utilized aluminum alloy section in advanced international exhibitions due to the qualities of fast, convenient, artistic, and environmental-friendly. In addition, the Canton Fair also encouraged the exhibitors to use degradable or recycle packaging to reduce the effect on the environment.
Green materials are not only effective in improving repeating utilization factor, but are also helpful in saving costs because they can be dismounted quickly. The same goes for the abrasives industry, in which the environmental problems have existed long ago. As the industrial teeth, the abrasives industry has been regarded as high consuming and high pollution industry. In recent years, overcapacity problems have become even worse. The problems that requires tackling in China's abrasives industry include:
1. Weak in R&D Capability
The abrasives companies are not good at R&D, which is closed related with the small scale and lack of R&D personnel. What's more important is that the company leaders should realize the need for reform and innovation. Currently, abrasives companies should seek for breakthroughs by enhancing study of innovative ideas.
2. Serious Overcapacity Problem
The current capacity of brown fused alumina is around 4,300,000 tons. The capacity utilization is less than 30%. Besides, there are 250,000 tons under construction, which will definitely lead to overcapacity problem. The capacity of silicon carbide is about 2,000,000 tons and its capacity utilization is 50%. Backward capacity still exists in huge amount. The abrasives companies have done little to solve the problem. The only measures taken can be reducing costs, which is an important contributor of low price.
3. Problems still exist in Cleaner Production, especially in smelting industry, where abrasives processing may produce waste water, waste gas, dust and other pollutions, to which treatment is lacking.
Seen from what has been mentioned above, environmental problems still exist as a restriction factor of the abrasives industry's development. Therefore, while conducting development, abrasives companies are also suggested to increase input in environmental protection. In aspects of production process and development of new products, measures of energy saving and emission reduction should be taken positively. Three points should be paid attention to:
1. Adjust structure development mode, eliminate backward capacity, and restrict overcapacity.
2. Increase input in independent innovation and scientific research. Develop medium and high-end abrasives products to meet the increasing demand of the photovoltaic industry and superior refractory materials.
3. Promote green manufacturing, which refers to comprehensive consideration of environmental influence and resource efficiency under the premise of guaranteeing product function, quality, and costs. It is a new developing trend that help to achieve the efficient utilization of resources and energies as well as set up the resource-saving and environmental-friendly industry.