New York, New York (PRWEB) November 05, 2014
On Saturday, November 1, TOWN Residential, New York’s leading luxury real estate services firm, was the lead sponsor of the inaugural TEDxNewYork conference. A crowd of more than 400 passionate New Yorkers from across all industries and disciplines met at the newly restored Weylin B. Seymour’s for a day of cultural, intellectual, and socially-minded conversation. The independently organized, invitation-only event, licensed by TED, featured speakers that were reflective of the fabric of New York City. TOWN Residential interacted with speakers and event participants throughout the day on Twitter and Instagram.
The following brilliant thinkers and performers from in and around New York presented TED’s hallmark 18-minute talks.
- Lam Thuy Vo – Al Jazeera America’s interactive editor, who brings stories to life through multimedia.
- Stacey Sutton – A professor of urban planning at Columbia University who thinks deeply about our common misconceptions around gentrification.
- Kit Fine – A philosopher who explores the boundaries of what we think is real and asks questions about the nature of math, language, and abstraction.
- Ben Wellington – A professor of city planning at Pratt and the brains behind I Quant NY, a blog that tells the story of New York City through data.
- Rashaad Newsome – A multimedia artist who explores our relationship to status, appropriation, and high and low culture.
- Sue Mi Terry – A North Korean scholar who served in the CIA for seven years and who makes a case for a shift in foreign policy: from reactive and scrambling to strategic and forward-thinking.
- Choclattjared - a percussion prodigy who started incessantly playing drums at the tender age of three.
- Michelle Bradbury - Develops translational, tumor-targeting, PET-optical silica nanoparticle probes for diagnostics, drug delivery, and sensing.
- Albert Wenger – A partner at Union Square Ventures whose portfolio includes game-changing companies like Etsy and Tumblr.
- Azra Raza – An oncologist and director of the MDS Center at Columbia University where she moves the latest therapies from theory to practice.
- Joshua Kissi and Travis Gumbs – fashion as a story
- Emily Balcetis – A psychologist who explores differences in perception and decision-making from conscious and nonconscious levels.
- Somi – TED fellow, New African Jazz
- Ismael Nazario – As a teenager, Nazario was sent to solitary confinement at Riker’s Island for 300 days before he was ever convicted of a crime.
- Sree Sreenivasan – The first Chief Digital Officer of The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Alyssa Loorya – An archaeologist digging beneath the grid of New York, uncovering the most unlikely artifacts.
- Sheri Berman – A political scientist who studies the history of democracy – why it works, and why more often than not, it fails.
- Will Stephen – How to sound smart in your TEDxTalk
TOWN Residential shares TEDxNewYork’s dedication to celebrating curiosity and fostering cross-disciplinary collaboration. As the fastest growing leader in full service real estate in New York, TOWN Residential plays an integral part in the growth of our community. Our Representatives see first-hand and exemplify how inspired and thoughtful service can change the spirit of our neighborhoods.
Launched in 2009, TEDx is a program of locally organized events that bring the community together to share a TED-like experience. To date, there have been more than 10,400 TEDx events in 163 countries. Some of the best talks from TEDx events have gone on to be featured on TED.com and garnered millions of views from audiences around the globe.
Photos can be viewed and downloaded through: https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=tedxnewyork
About TOWN Residential: TOWN is a top-ranked, fully integrated Manhattan real estate services firm created through the partnership of CEO and Co-Chairman Andrew Heiberger and Co-Chairman Joseph Sitt, specializing in luxury residential sales and leasing and the marketing, sales and leasing of new developments. An integral part of the New York real estate landscape, TOWN has a team that exceeds 600 licensed professionals and staff in the newly opened corporate headquarters at 25 West 39th Street and ten neighborhood offices: TOWN Greenwich Village, at 530 LaGuardia Place; TOWN SoHo, an 1886 landmarked corner storefront at 337 West Broadway; TOWN 79th Street, a corner storefront at 239 East 79th Street on the Upper East Side; TOWN West Village, a trophy office at 446 West 14thStreet; TOWN Astor Place, a block-storefront space overlooking historic Astor Place in the Gwathmey Siegel-designed Sculpture for Living at 26 Astor Place; TOWN Fifth Avenue, located in the prestigious Crown Building at 730 Fifth Avenue at 57thStreet; TOWN Flatiron, located at 110 Fifth Avenue and 16th Street; TOWN Greenwich Street, nestled in the heart of the Financial District at 88 Greenwich Street; and TOWN Gramercy Park at historic 33 Irving Place. For more information about these offices and TOWN Residential, visit http://www.townrealestate.com.