ACMA Position Statement Calls for ACM Certification by End of 2016: Become Certified and Advance Your Professional Practice

Share Article

The American Case Management Association (ACMA) issued a certification position statement on Oct. 21, 2013, which states, "Nurses and social workers with two or more years of health care system experience should have their Accredited Case Manager (ACM) credential by Dec. 31, 2016, to practice health care system case management. Thereafter, because new case managers need 24 months of health care system case management experience to be eligible to take the ACM exam, certification should be achieved by the 36th month of practice."

The American Case Management Association (ACMA) issued a certification position statement on Oct. 21, 2013, which states, "Nurses and social workers with two or more years of health care system experience should have their Accredited Case Manager (ACM) credential by Dec. 31, 2016, to practice health care system case management. Thereafter, because new case managers need 24 months of health care system case management experience to be eligible to take the ACM exam, certification should be achieved by the 36th month of practice."

The position statement was developed based on the results of a survey of ACMA members and ACM-certified professionals, which asked respondents to share their thoughts on case management certification and the qualifications to perform case management functions.

“ACMA’s certification position statement is timely and necessary,” said Patricia Velky, RN, BSN, MS, MBA, CPHQ, FAACM, FABC, ACM, System Director of Case Management for Memorial Hermann Health Care System in Houston, Texas. “Earning a credential like the ACM signifies a personal commitment to professional development. It says ‘I am a competent clinician committed to continual education and practice improvement.’ The ACM supports the ongoing advancement of case management practice.”

Providing Opportunities for Case Managers and Advancing the Practice
ACMA’s certification position is designed to: (a.) ensure case management functions are performed by clinically competent professionals; (b.) position case management professionals for growth and professional advancement opportunities; and (c.) gain recognition for case management in the health care delivery system setting to advance the practice.

The Health Care Standard
According to the 2013 National Hospital Case Management Survey, nearly half (47%) of case management departments prefer the ACM certification – the preferences of the remaining 53% of departments are divided among 4 certifications, with the ACM leading the next most preferred certification by more than 20%.

The ACM certification represents the health care standard in case management certification, utilizing clinical simulation testing methodology to test “competency beyond knowledge” – measuring critical thinking skills and the ability to use knowledge in practical, clinical situations.

The Next Step in Career Advancement
Case management certification plays a significant role in 67% of hiring decisions, and 42% of case management professionals indicate that their organization offers incentives for case management certification. To learn more about the ACM certification, visit http://www.acmaweb.org/ACM.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Visit website