After two years of intense work, we are finally launching today our pillow on a Kickstarter campaign hoping to raise enough awareness and funds to start mass production early next year
(PRWEB) November 19, 2014
An international team of textile specialists has developed a pillow entirely made out of recycled plastic bottles. Through an innovative process, plastic bottles are transformed into extremely thin fibers that are then used to make the pillows.
"After two years of intense work, we are finally launching today our pillow on a Kickstarter campaign hoping to raise enough awareness and funds to start mass production early next year" said Mrs. Monique Maissan, CEO and founder of Waste2Wear, a company that makes a diverse range of textile products from recycled plastic bottles.
The production of one of Waste2Wear's Green Pillows takes an average 82 plastic bottles that are shredded, washed and melted. Each part of the pillow, from the filling to the label, is then produced with the fibers and yarns made with the bottles.
"The reason why its development was such a challenge is that we wanted to make an Eco-friendly product that can rival the feel of down while being safer than a regular pillow. Our pillows are fully tested and certified for safety, quality and sustainability and are treated with special agents against bacteria, mildew and dust mites" said Mrs. Maissan.
What are the innovations on the Green Pillow?
- The Filling - The filling is made from extremely thin fibers, about the thickness of a silk thread, and this is what allows for the down-like feeling of softness and comfort.
- Hollow Fibers - This allows them to spring back and retain their shape.
- Silicon coating - Every fiber is treated with a special silicon coating that allows for the fibers to slide over each other, feel softer, and also helps retain their shape.
- The fabric - The fabric is so closely woven that nothing is able to get through.
- AEGIS treatment - Mold, mildew, bacteria, and germs are usually found in pillows. The Green Pillow is treated with AEGIS Microbe Shield against these kind of organisms.
- Washable - The Green Pillow is machine washable up to 140°F (60 °C).
The Green Pillow by Waste2Wear is available on Kickstarter from November the 17th with the target of recycling a minimum of 41,000 plastic bottles.
For more information, visit our official website: