“The horrific oppression of believers in many countries requires our fervent prayer."GOD TV President and CEO, Wendy Alec
Plymouth, UK (PRWEB UK) 10 November 2014
According to leading Church statistician Dr David Barrett, more Christians were martyred in the 20th Century than in all previous centuries combined. As this persecution continues to make headlines, GOD TV focuses this month on the plight of persecuted believers in some 60 countries. The Persecuted Church Season starts on GOD TV this weekend, airing on Sunday 16th and Sunday 23rd November. Viewers are being asked to participate in a joint social media effort using the hashtag, #LookAway.
“Over 100 million Christians face persecution in the world today and the level and intensity is increasing,” said GOD TV President and CEO, Wendy Alec. “The horrific oppression of believers in many countries requires our fervent prayer. That is why we are dedicating a season of programming to highlight this issue, raise prayer and help stop the persecution, because ‘if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it’,” she said, quoting 1 Corinthians 12:26.
Advocacy groups featured during the Persecuted Church Season include: Voice of the Martyrs (VOM); Open Doors; and One Free World International. The programming includes documentaries and conference sessions that deal with persecution as well as GOD TV’s In Depth series, presented by Liz Ray / Joel Woodrow, with Wendy Alec as executive producer.
The Persecuted Church Season on GOD TV this November includes:
- In Depth interviews – Todd Nettleton of Voice of the Martyrs and Eddie Lyle of Open Doors share how their organisations are making a difference;
- Captive in Iran – A GOD TV documentary featuring Maryam Rostampour and Marziyeh Amirizadeh who were imprisoned in Iran after converting from Islam;
- Love Costs Everything – A film that looks at the history of Christian persecution, retelling the stories of the first martyrs and present-day believers;
- Freedom Fighter – Former Muslim, Majed El Shafie was sentenced to death in Egypt. He escaped and now heads up a human rights organisation; and
- Morning Star Conference – Lt Gen (Retired) WG Boykin of Kingdom Warriors speaks about the persecution he endured as a believer serving in the US military.
Wendy Alec will also lead viewers in prayer for the Persecuted Church. Broadcast times can be found on god.tv, where these programmes can be watched via video on demand (god.tv/persecuted).
GOD TV is available in the UK on SKY (580), Freesat (694) and Virgin (279). Viewers can also watch via the Internet on their smartphone (GOD TV App); computer (god.tv); or TV screen, (Roku).
About GOD TV: GOD TV took to the airwaves in the UK in 1995 and now transmits from Jerusalem to a global reach of some 900 million people. The network’s worldwide broadcast license is held by Angel Christian Television Trust Inc, a US not-for-profit corporation. GOD TV is owned by several Angel Charities internationally, which in addition to the network’s media outreach, assist people in the developing world. GOD TV adheres to the UK Evangelical Alliance Basis of Faith. Its signal is broadcast Free To Air (FTA) and is accessible to all.
Contact: GOD TV UK & Ireland Regional Director Fergus Scarfe at fscarfe(at)god(at)tv
GOD TV Broadcast HQ: Jerusalem, Israel. International offices: USA (Orlando, Florida; Kansas City, Missouri) UK & Ireland (Plymouth, England), Europe (Hamburg, Germany), Asia & Middle East (Chennai, India; Sri Lanka), Africa (Cape Town, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya), Australasia (Melbourne, Australia).