This year marks the fourth consecutive year that the number of salespeople has topped 24 million.
Fredericksburg, VA (PRWEB) November 12, 2014
In its October issue, Selling Power magazine released its exclusive, annual ranking of the 500 largest sales forces in America (Selling Power 500). Every year, Selling Power magazine ranks companies according to the estimated number of salespeople they employ. The 2014 listing of the Selling Power 500 includes
- the top 200 companies in the manufacturing industry,
- the top 200 companies in the service industry,
- the top 50 insurance companies,
- the 30 largest direct-selling companies,
- the top 20 automotive-dealer organizations (megadealers).
Buy the October issue of Selling Power magazine featuring the SP 500.
These companies depend on millions of salespeople to achieve their revenue goals. This year marks the fourth consecutive year that the number of salespeople has topped 24 million.
“This shows that, without question, the men and women who make up each company’s sales force produce the revenue that will continue to fuel this country’s economy,” says Selling Power founder and publisher Gerhard Gschwandtner.
The total number of salespeople employed by all 500 companies listed is 24,524,522, which represents a small increase of about 3 percent – or slightly more than 700,000 additional salespeople – compared to last year. This overall change, although small, is almost double the increase from last year and may signal some forward momentum in the economy as a whole.
The Selling Power research team released the following highlights about the data it collected:
- Salespeople employed by manufacturing firms contribute a far higher amount of sales revenue compared to other industry segments.
- Productivity in the manufacturing segment has been stagnant for the last two years.
- The automotive industry posted an encouraging increase in the number of salespeople: up more than 13 percent.
- The states with the most SP 500 companies are New York (51), California (48), and Illinois (36).
- This year, the total number of employees in the service industry increased by more than 25,000 people.
- The top 30 direct-selling companies reported almost 23 million salespeople, continuing a trend of increases in the number of salespeople in this industry within the last 13 years.
Selling Power thanks its corporate research team for collecting the data. To have your company listed in the Selling Power 500 next year, please write to SP 500 Research, PO Box 5467, Fredericksburg, VA 22403.
Access the complete Selling Power 500 list on CD or via Dropbox.
About Selling Power
In addition to Selling Power magazine, the leading periodical for sales managers and sales VPs since 1981, Selling Power Inc. produces the Sales Management Digest and Daily Boost of Positivity newsletters, as well as a five-minute Selling Power video series featuring interviews with top executives. Selling Power is a media sponsor of the Sales 2.0 Conference series.