Vancouver (PRWEB) November 18, 2014
Mobidia Technology Inc., a leading provider of mobile usage data, today released new insights on mobile data usage in Q3 2014 in the U.S. The analysis, based on a data set spanning July through September of 2014 and covering hundreds of thousands of wireless subscribers in the U.S., indicates increased cellular, LTE, and Wi-Fi usage as subscribers continue to expand app and media usage on their smartphones.
Mobidia’s data shows Verizon and Sprint subscribers are using more LTE data than AT&T and T-Mobile subscribers. Additionally, the data reveals the continued reliance of smartphone subscribers on Wi-Fi networks in 2014—consistent with trends identified over the past few years—with iOS and Android users consuming 82 percent and 78 percent of their mobile data on Wi-Fi networks, respectively. Research available here.
The analysis highlights the following specific trends:
- On average, U.S. subscribers consumed 1.8GB of cellular data every month in Q3 2014. Those on Android phones consumed 6.8GB of Wi-Fi data and those with iPhones consumed 8.9GB of Wi-Fi data.
- Sprint and T-Mobile subscribers consumed the most total data with 10.2GB and 9.5GB per month, respectively.
- Verizon subscribers enjoyed the most access to LTE networks with 98 percent of their cellular data consumed on LTE networks. LTE data accounted for 93 percent of cellular data consumed by Sprint subscribers and only 86 percent of data consumed by AT&T subscribers.
- U.S. LTE subscribers with iPhones consumed an average of 12GB of total data—nearly double that of 3G subscribers’ usage. Their 3G counterparts consumed only 7.1GB of total data.
- For subscribers of the big four U.S. operators, at least 92 percent of subscribers used Wi-Fi at least once a month. This number is higher for iPhone users, 98 percent of whom access Wi-Fi monthly.
Average Monthly Data Usage per Subscriber, iPhone, USA Q3 2014
“U.S. wireless subscribers with LTE capable devices have cranked up their data usage this year,” said Chris Hill, senior vice president of marketing at Mobidia. “In fact, LTE subscribers are consuming almost twice as much cellular data as 3G subscribers, according to the reports we’ve received from hundreds of thousands of cellular subscribers in the U.S.”
Mobidia provides the mobile industry ecosystem with detailed and unique insights into real subscriber behavior regarding data and application-specific usage on all the networks to which smartphones and tablets connect, including mobile cellular (and LTE), roaming and Wi-Fi. The data includes both time spent in and aggregate data amounts consumed by specific applications and services.
For more information about Mobidia’s mobile data, please visit Mobidia’s website, where you will find detailed white papers available for download.
# # #
Note to Editor:
Mobidia analyzed data collected July 2014 through September 2014 from hundreds of thousands of wireless subscribers in the U.S. to analyze Wi-Fi, 3G and LTE usage trends.
About Mobidia Technology Inc.
Mobidia is a leading mobile analytics provider with the largest global sample of smartphone and tablet users. Mobidia's mobile analytics and metrics platform provides unique insights into mobile usage trends on mobile applications and mobile networks. Real usage from real users on both cellular and Wi-Fi networks provides a comprehensive and unique understanding of what people do and value in the mobile world.
Mobidia is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with local presence in the U.S. and Europe. For more information, visit http://www.mobidia.com or call +1-604-304-8640.