CRDF Global Announces Fellowship for Female STEM Ph.D. Students in Georgia

Share Article

In partnership with the Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation and the Georgian Research and Development Foundation (GRDF), CRDF Global has awarded 12 Georgian women a total of $68,870 towards the completion of their Ph.D. programs in scientific disciplines.

Aspiring women scientists from Georgia State Medical University

“For women, sometimes it is very difficult to fully focus on both work and family. This program gave me a great opportunity to focus on both and excel in my research” - Elene Uchava, Tbilisi State University.

In partnership with the Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation and the Georgian Research and Development Foundation (GRDF), CRDF Global has awarded 12 Georgian women a total of $68,870 towards the completion of their Ph.D. programs in scientific disciplines.

The Georgian Women Research Fellowship Program aims to increase the number of women scientists and engineers operating in the Georgian scientific community. This is the first program of its kind awarded by CRDF Global.

“CRDF Global truly believes in the contributions of women to the scientific community. The women that will receive this opportunity were chosen because of their strong academic background, research capabilities, and commitment to completing their Ph.Ds. This support will help advance their careers, giving them a chance to impact not only Georgian science, but increase their ability to impact scientific research around the world,” said Dr. Meaza Demissie, Program Manager at CRDF Global.

The women, students at Tbilisi State University, Georgian Technical University, Ilia State University, and Sokhumi State University, were selected after a competitive peer review process managed by CRDF Global and GRDF. An expert review panel evaluated applicants based on the scientific merit of their research and proposed cost. The final winners represent a variety of STEM fields, including physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, neuroscience, cosmology, and information technology.

“For women, sometimes it is very difficult to fully focus on both work and family. This program gave me a great opportunity to focus on both and excel in my research,” said recipient Elene Uchava, a physics Ph.D. candidate from Tbilisi State University. “This award is extremely valuable for me within the course of my Ph.D. study. I am very grateful to CRDF Global, GRDF and SRNSF for this financial support.”

The 12 women will receive up to $6,000 each to cover tuition, fees, stipends, travel to conferences, and equipment. SRNSF provided roughly 30 percent of the award costs and CRDF Global provided the remaining 70 percent through funding from the U.S. Department of State under its Assistance to Europe, Eurasia, and Central Asia (AEECA) program.

About CRDF Global

CRDF Global is an independent, nonprofit organization established in 1995 to promote international scientific and technical collaboration through grants, technical resources, training, and services. CRDF Global has nearly 20 years of experience managing international research funding programs and supporting emerging science and technology infrastructure in more than 40 countries in Eurasia, the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia.

Share article on socal media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Becky Sheetz-Runkle
CRDF Global
+1 703-501-0533
Email >

Joshua Walker
@crdfglobal
Follow >
CRDF Global
since: 09/2010
Like >
CRDF Global

Follow us on
Visit website