Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) November 20, 2014
Techweek, the nation’s leading technology conference and festival showcasing and enabling innovation ecosystems, today kicked off its expo and conference in Los Angeles at the Santa Monica Pier. The conference and expo begin following a number of successful events earlier in the week, including the Techweek kickoff party, Techweek Grand Tour and FWD.us monthly meeting.
Techweek Los Angeles 2014, presented by American Airlines, is a week-long celebration of technology and innovation dedicated to uniting visionaries, thought leaders, influencers, and entrepreneurs under a metaphorical and physical big tent on the Santa Monica Pier. Techweek L.A. will be the first technology conference and festival to ever take place on the Pier and joins the venue’s list of "firsts.” These include the first ever live-TV broadcast of a variety show, the unveiling of the first and only solar powered Ferris wheel in the world, The Pacific Wheel, and the first two-person beach volleyball game, which originated next to the Pier.
Techweek L.A. celebrates the unique intersections throughout technology and during the 2-day conference and expo they will be explored in depth. These intersections include those in social impact, education, finance, entertainment, media, fashion, gaming, sports, and more. It is Techweek’s goal to provide an open space for all who are passionate about technology to be an active part of the conversation. This year, the conference and expo will feature:
- High-Profile Speakers: Techweek L.A. 2014 will showcase influential leaders and influencers in technology who will cover topics including innovation, entrepreneurship, trends, and more as it relates to both the L.A. technology community and beyond. Notable names include: Chris DeWolfe (CEO, Social Gaming Network; Co-Founder, Myspace), Jane Poynter (CEO, World View Enterprises, Inc.), Scott Painter (CEO, TrueCar), Poornima Vijayashanker (Founder, Femgineer; Founding Engineer, Mint.com), Elliot Kotek (Co-Founder & Editor-In-Chief, Not Impossible Now), and Laura Goldberg (CMO, LegalZoom). There will also be a number of exciting panels on topics that include social innovation and impact, big data, green technology, fashion, sharing economies, and more. A complete schedule can be found at http://techweek.com/schedule/losangeles/.
- LAUNCH Competition: 50+ of L.A.’s most promising young entrepreneurs will compete for cash and sponsor-donated gifts valued at $50,000 from 12 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 20. Each participating startup will pitch its business to attendees and anonymous judges as they compete for the final round selection. A panel of top tech and business leaders will ultimately decide the winner of the 2014 Techweek Los Angeles LAUNCH Competition.
- Hiring Fair: Whether searching for a new, exciting role or looking to bring an idea to fruition, the Hiring Fair is all about matching talented candidates with the right jobs. The Hiring Fair features some of the best companies in technology, ranging from startups to well-established brands such as DirecTV, TrueCar and Cornerstone OnDemand. Attendees who bring a resume will be granted complimentary access to the Hiring Fair, which will take place from 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Friday, November 21.
- Hackathon: The Techweek L.A. Hackathon, presented by General Assembly and also in partnership with ChallengePost, F6S, Rackspace, Sinch, and Uber, will be a one-day marathon filled with innovation and development. Talented developers, designers, and entrepreneurs will participate in an all-day frenzy of fun, camaraderie, and coding. The event begins at 9 p.m. on Friday, November 21 and ends at 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 22. A celebration for the winning team will take place following the conclusion of the event at 7 p.m. and is open to the public. To register or learn more about the Hackathon please visit http://techweeklahackathon.challengepost.com.
- FashionTECH Runway Show: The latest in wearables and e-commerce will bring the intersection of technology and fashion front-and-center at the FashionTECH Runway Show. The show will feature designs and fashions from: JustFab, Trumaker, Muse, Vrai & Oro, 1st Round Athletics, and more. The show will also feature technology leaders and entrepreneurs on the catwalk in the latest styles provided by participating brands and e-retailers.
“The anticipation for the Techweek L.A. conference and expo has been building over the last year,” said Iain Shovlin, Chairman of Techweek. “We want to spotlight the L.A. innovation ecosystem in a unique, iconic way, and setting up a tent to celebrate technology on the Santa Monica Pier, in the heart of Silicon Beach, is just the way to do it. We look forward to the exchange of ideas and the development of new relationships as we bring everyone together under Techweek’s big tent this year.”
Top sponsors of Techweek Los Angeles 2014 include: American Airlines, FameBit, Media Temple, ezVerify, Bannerman, Cornerstone OnDemand, Interoute, IDA Ireland, Rackspace and Dell.
To learn more about Techweek Los Angeles or to register for tickets, visit http://techweek.com/losangeles.
Techweek is a 7-day technology conference and festival that celebrates and enables innovation ecosystems in five cities across the country: Chicago, Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, and Miami. With Techweek as a conduit, a spotlight is able to shine on each individual technology community, providing entrepreneurs, innovators, influencers, and visionaries to share ideas, sparking game-changing conversations and inspiring action.
Past speakers at Techweek include Jonah Peretti (Founder & CEO, BuzzFeed), Karen Sumberg (Diversity Pod Leader, Google), Travis Kalanick (CEO, Uber), Reshma Saujani (Founder & CEO, Girls Who Code), Dan Gilbert (Founder, Quicken Loans), Alexis Ohanian (Co-founder, Reddit), Rahm Emanuel (Mayor, Chicago), and Kathryn Minshew (Founder, The Muse). Techweek has garnered more than 200 sponsors including Uber, Microsoft, Yelp, Motorola, Groupon, Redbox, Wordpress, American Airlines, and more.