Happy Holidays from the Mooney Family & Willingway Staff
Statesboro, GA (PRWEB) December 10, 2014
Willingway, a renowned treatment center for alcoholism and drug addiction, has helped patients find the best chance at recovery for more than 45 years. And they know how bittersweet and difficult the holidays can be for people in recovery from addiction. Robbin Mooney, Willingway’s Director of Communications, said, “The holidays are a special time for us at Willingway. We know it can be challenging and we want to offer hope that the holidays can be enjoyable and magical.”
Robbin shared Willingway’s tips to keep healthy, sober, and sane during the season.
1. Increase support – Make sure to attend extra 12-Step meetings and call on your support network.
2. Attend meetings out of town – Make a commitment to attend meetings, even when you are out of town.
3. Arrive early / leave early – If you are invited to a dinner party where they will be serving alcohol, plan to arrive just before dinner so you can miss cocktail hour.
4. Take your own vehicle – This takes the pressure off, so you can leave early if needed.
5. Limit family time – Significant and ongoing family issues can create or exacerbate potential for relapse.
6. Make a “safe party plan” – Plan ahead for how to deal with offers to drink.
7. Create new traditions – Host your own sober holiday party with friends that choose not to drink.
8. You can say no – If you are uncomfortable attending, you can always say “no, thank you.”
9. Reason for the season – Reflect upon the special reason the event is being held in the first place.
10. Be of service to others – Helping the host, hostess, or guests is always a great way to combat the anxiousness of this type of setting.
Since 1971, Willingway, located just outside historic Savannah, GA, has helped more than 20,000 patients recover from alcohol and drug dependency. Willingway’s treatment programs are tailored to the unique needs of each individual patient. The staff includes some of the top addiction medicine physicians in the country.