Auto theft is expensive, generally costing a victim more than $8,000, even with quality insurance.
PHOENIX, AZ (PRWEB) December 21, 2014
Inilex®, the leading provider of telemetry solutions for vehicles, and the makers of the popular SkyLINK vehicle tracking device, is warning car owners that the worst holiday for auto theft is approaching: New Year’s day. The National Insurance Crime Bureau reports that New Year’s Day is the most popular holiday for car thefts, with Christmas Day and Christmas Eve also in the top 10. There were 5,100 cars reported stolen between these three days in 2013, the last year for which data is available.
Auto theft is expensive, generally costing a victim more than $8,000, even with quality insurance. Inilex CEO Michael Maledon says, “Auto theft costs our country billions each year, and many vehicle owners don’t realize how it can directly hit them in the wallet because they assume insurance will cover it. Between insurance deductibles, the cost of a replacement vehicle and the time off of work, a car theft victim can be out thousands in the seconds it takes a thief to steal their car.”
A stolen car during the holiday season can be especially anguishing, as it adds aggravation to an already busy and expensive time of year. Thieves take advantage of hurried, distracted shoppers who may forget to lock their doors, the cover of winter darkness and even people who leave their cars running while unattended to keep them warm. In addition to stealing the car itself, thieves often make off with the car owner’s identification information – such as their address and garage door opener – which can be used to commit subsequent crimes.
Inilex encourages car owners to be cautious around the holidays, and employ important safety tactics to help prevent car theft and break-ins. One solution is the SkyLINK GPS-enabled theft-recovery device, which guarantees the car will be tracked, located and recovered within minutes of being reported stolen, most often apprehending the thief as well. Unlike older vehicle-tracking devices, SkyLINK integrates directly with local police to ensure that the car is located as quickly as possible, wherever it is. This enables a speedy recovery, and provides customers with a better chance of recovering their car before it is stripped for parts or used in a crime.
Inilex offers these five tips to help prevent car theft this holiday season:
- Consider leaving your car at home and taking a cab or car service to and from your holiday party. A car left unattended for hours or overnight is an open invitation to would-be thieves.
- Visibility is key. Always park in a well-lit, populated area, such as a busy parking lot or secure garage. Not only is this safer for your car, but it is also safer for you walking to and from it.
- Make it difficult for them. Double-check that all doors are locked, windows are closed and the car alarm is activated, if you have one. Or even take it a step further by pulling up the emergency brake and detaching your car battery cables.
- It’s not uncommon for many of us to use our cars as storage. This time of year, people even hide gifts in the car to prevent family members from snooping. Remember to store your valuables in your house or another safe place before you hit the road – car insurance does not cover items stolen from your vehicle.
- Consider installing a GPS-enabled device, such as SkyLINK by Inilex, that can instantly track your car. If your car is stolen, you have a very good chance of getting it back quickly with all your personal property intact. In addition, theft recovery devices often help police catch career car thieves in action, so you’re helping to solve and prevent the crime in the future.
Headquartered in Phoenix, Inilex® is an Inc. 500|5000 company and the industry-leading provider of intelligent telemetry solutions. It combines the power of the Global Positioning System (GPS) with the flexibility of a best-in-class wireless messaging system to develop telemetry solutions for businesses and consumers alike. Inilex is online at http://www.inilex.com. The company was named one of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes in 2013 and 2014, a Deloitte Technology Fast 500 company, and its technology has won numerous awards including the Connected World 100 for four consecutive years.