It was our privilege to make this climb on behalf of men and women struggling with infertility, and to contribute to the medical mission that changes lives in Tanzania. I can’t imagine a better start to the New Year.
New York City, NY (PRWEB) January 28, 2014
How did seven novice hikers climb to the highest peak in the Africa? The same way men and women overcome infertility: One step at a time.
A team from New York Fertility Services formed to provide much-needed supplies and care for a rural health clinic in Arusha, Tanzania. Together with private donations and help from Mandell’s Pharmacy, BesScription, Freedom Drugs and MetroDrug, contributions totaled over $10,000 and over 200 pounds of medical supplies, including surgical gloves, masks, antibiotics, antibiotic creams, and aids kits.
The challenge of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, a side trip while serving on this medical mission, sprang forth from a physician who has devoted his life to helping people overcome great odds, and his nursing student daughter… along with four of her nursing colleagues from NYU.
The team planted a summit flag with words of hope for the fertility community on Jan. 4, 2014. Among those who made it to the summit of the tallest walkable mountain in the world:
- Dr. Joel Batzofin, reproductive endocrinologist and director of NYFS
- Teresa Randolph, NYFS practice relations director
- Tammy Batzofin, Dr. Batzofin’s daughter and NYU nursing student
- Colleen Ryan, NYFS practice administrator
“Climbing 19,341 feet over nine days (seven up and two down) takes focus, strength and commitment,” Dr. Joel Batzofin remarked. “So, too, does the decision to start the journey to family by way of fertility treatment. It’s a mental, physical and financial climb, but the reward--the mountaintop experience of becoming a parent--is worth the struggle.”
A social media campaign encouraged men and women to share words of hope with people still struggling to start a family. A sample of the posts left by New York City and New Jersey well wishers:
- Sometimes we travel roads that we feel may be a dead end. We look at hills and see mountains that we will never see the horizon from. Unless you just close your eyes to what you see and allow your mind to really see what is possible.
- "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn’t happen at once." Albert Einstein
- Never say never. Never let anything stand in your way.
- I wish for a healthy baby at last, or peace of mind that it may be just we three.
“Infertility takes you to the highest mountaintop, and the lowest valleys,” says Dr. Batzofin. “It was our privilege to make this climb on behalf of men and women struggling with infertility, and to contribute to the medical mission that changes lives in Tanzania. I can’t imagine a better start to the New Year!”
New York Fertility Services, was founded by reproductive endocrinologist Joel Batzofin, M.D, F.A.C.OG,. to provide comprehensive fertility services that meld advanced reproductive technologies with proven holistic, Eastern medicine therapies. Along with Ilana Ressler, M.D. F.A.C.O.G. and IVF lab director and embryologist John Scodras, Ph.D. the New York Fertility Services team is committed to providing compassionate, affordable and effective family-building treatments. Contact the Manhattan fertility clinic at 888-437-8963 or visit http://www.newyorkfertilityservices.com.