Dr. Sullivan is a passionate advocate for health education, promoting healthy lifestyles and disease prevention.
Tampa, FL (PRWEB) February 21, 2014
Nominations for the 2014 Louis W. Sullivan, MD, Health Policy Leadership Award are now being accepted by the American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc.
The award is named for Louis W. Sullivan, MD, former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (1989-93) and founding dean of the prestigious Morehouse School of Medicine. Dr. Sullivan is currently a public member of the AAPS Board of Directors and Chairman of the Board of the National Health Museum in Atlanta.
Candidates for the Sullivan Award will have made, or be making a truly outstanding contribution through an initiative to improve the health status of individuals, targeted groups, communities or the nation. The individual may have a primary role either inside or outside the public health arena.
"We are honored to recognize a significant contribution to the public health in Dr. Sullivan’s name,” said AAPS President Douglas L. Maciniak, DO, FAAIM. “Dr. Sullivan is a passionate advocate for health education, promoting healthy lifestyles and disease prevention," Dr. Marciniak said.
Nominees must meet at least one of the following criteria to be eligible:
- The candidate must have served as a champion in promoting major health policy changes
- The candidate must have used innovative methods of promoting public health policies to targeted stakeholders
- The candidate must have been a policy maker who affected major health policy legislation
- The candidate must have advocated for health policy improvements
- The candidate must have been recognized for a distinguishing achievement related to health policy
The deadline for nominations is April 30, 2014. To nominate an individual for the award, please visit http://www.aapsus.org/annual-meeting/sullivanaward. The award will be presented June 21, 2014 at the 62nd AAPS House of Delegates & Annual Meeting in Tampa, FL.
The American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc.® is the governing body of the American Board of Physician Specialties® which certifies qualified allopathic and osteopathic physicians in a wide range of medical specialties.