World Water Day, Mar 22, Celebrated by Mr. Rooter
Freshwater Resource Conservation Awareness, Adoption Encouraged
Waco, TX (PRWEB) March 20, 2014
This Saturday, March 22, Mr. Rooter® Plumbing is celebrating World Water Day, a day to focus attention on the importance of freshwater and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources all over the world. This year, there’s also a secondary focus on energy sustainability, since both water and energy are absolute necessities in improving worldwide health conditions, education, and food security.
To bring attention to daily water use, Mr. Rooter Plumbing offers six household tips on how to simultaneously save money and energy resources through water and electricity conservation.
Conservation is important to Mr. Rooter. It’s important to you. It’s important to the rest of the world.
Wash full loads of laundry in cold water and line dry rather than using a dryer. If a dryer is necessary, try drying several consecutive loads to take advantage of the already warm dryer.
- Insulate the water heater to avoid heat loss in winter. Set the thermostat at 68 degrees Fahrenheit or lower in cool weather; turn the thermostat down when you leave the house or go to sleep. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, turning down the thermostat 10 to 15 degrees lower than usual for eight hours can save you up to 10 percent a year on your heating bills.
- Repair any plumbing leaks as soon as they are noticed. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says a single leaky toilet can waste 200 gallons (757 liters) of water a day.
- Set out frozen food to defrost or use the microwave instead of running it under hot water.
- Fix a dripping tap immediately - one drip per second wastes almost 8 gallons (30 liters) of water a day.
- Taking shorter showers will save water and energy due to less hot water usage - and water heaters account for nearly one quarter of your home's energy use.
Being mindful of daily energy and water usage will help conserve our valuable, and limited, resources for generations to come. A Mr. Rooter® knows the importance of conservation and encourages consumers to take small steps today to help save resources for tomorrow.